FORUMS: list search recent posts

4096x2160 together with 1920x1080 in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
juergen steinbrecher
4096x2160 together with 1920x1080 in FCPX
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:40:49 pm

Hey guys,

I just started the postproduction of a film shot with two cameras; a Panasonic GH4 and a canon (can't remember exactly what the guy used).

Now I have 4 K material from the Panasonic (and also its downscaled version in 1920x1013, done with compressor) and HD material from the Canon. All is fine, only that when I drop the 4k material into a 1080 timeline in FCPX I get two black stripes in the 4 K material and not in the 1080 material. I would go with either one but both sizes in the same film are a no go.

Now I understand that quad HD would have been the way to go here, but now all the shooting is done. Could you help me out? What are my options?

Thanks for your help!

Jürgen

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: 4096x2160 together with 1920x1080 in FCPX
on Oct 22, 2015 at 7:48:35 pm

your option is to pick the aspect ratio you want to use, create a timeline in that format and then and resize the clips from the other camera to match. So you are either editing letterboxed 1080p or at actual 1013p and cropping the top/bottom off the canon footage, or you are editing 1080p and cropping the sides off the 4K footage.

If you've got the 4K originals just drop them into the 1080p timeline and resize as needed. The option you are looking for is setting the clips to "fill" rather than "fit" in the conform tab.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 22, 2015 at 8:27:18 pm

Yep I would go 1920x1080 as the master format....

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

juergen steinbrecher
on Oct 23, 2015 at 6:26:42 am

Great thanks guys!

So Noah if I understand you correctly, what you say is that the 1080 version is better than the 1013...? Are there any articular reason why you suggest that?

Kirk, so that might be a stupid question, but do I have to do that with every clip? Or is there a way to just put the 4k material and set fill and not fit, and then this will be the setting for all other 4k clips in this project?

And could I also ask you guys another question?

I have 4096x2160 material from the GH 4. If I put the material first into the timeline (maybe for fit/fill purposes) then the timeline will use this as the setting (hopefully also with the fit/fill distinction) but will not the 1080 blow up and look horrible? Is there a way to avoid that?

Thanks!

Jürgen

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 23, 2015 at 6:53:45 pm

[juergen steinbrecher] "Kirk, so that might be a stupid question, but do I have to do that with every clip? Or is there a way to just put the 4k material and set fill and not fit, and then this will be the setting for all other 4k clips in this project?
"

You can select all the 4K clips in the browser and change their spatial conform settings all at once in the inspector.

[juergen steinbrecher] "I have 4096x2160 material from the GH4. If I put the material first into the timeline (maybe for fit/fill purposes) then the timeline will use this as the setting (hopefully also with the fit/fill distinction) but will not the 1080 blow up and look horrible? Is there a way to avoid that?"

The project properties will be determined by the first clip you drop into it, only if that's what you choose in the initial project setup dialogue. You can either edit in 4K and scale up the 1080, or edit in 1080 and scale down the 4K. Play around a bit and see what looks better to you.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 23, 2015 at 7:09:29 pm

[juergen steinbrecher] "Kirk, so that might be a stupid question, but do I have to do that with every clip? Or is there a way to just put the 4k material and set fill and not fit, and then this will be the setting for all other 4k clips in this project?"

Select all of your 4K clips in the browser, and then in the Inspector, change the spatial conform to fill. That will set them all up for edit at once.

[juergen steinbrecher] "I have 4096x2160 material from the GH 4. If I put the material first into the timeline (maybe for fit/fill purposes) then the timeline will use this as the setting (hopefully also with the fit/fill distinction) but will not the 1080 blow up and look horrible? Is there a way to avoid that?"

You can avoid it by first placing one of your 1080 clips in the timeline. You can delete it later if necessary, but only after you've also placed one of the 4K clips in the timeline. This assumes that you didn't set the specs for the project as 'Custom' - if you did that, the timeline won't conform to the first clip that you drop in.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

juergen steinbrecher
on Oct 24, 2015 at 4:29:13 pm

Thanks guys! That helped a lot!

J.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]