FORUMS: list search recent posts

DJI drone footage aliasing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philip john
DJI drone footage aliasing
on Oct 22, 2015 at 11:03:21 am

Hi im working with some DJI drone footage at 25fps upper field 1080i with a HD colour profile 1-1-1. H264 compression - almost forgot that bit. When i view the native camera file via quicktime player it looks great - really smooth, great details etc. However when i come to edit with the material in FCPX or FCP7 i get huge aliasing artifacts - its drone footage flying over a reservoir so you can imagine how horrible it now looks. Even if i take my sequence settings from the camera setup it doesn't 'fix' the aliasing. Ive tried encoding a number of ways and flavours, adding a little motion blur, some anti-aliasing and while it's passable now, why can't I get the original footage in my sequence as I view it in quicktime? I was always told that FCP was/is built around quicktime architecture so this is really making me scratch my head, either that or I've been told a bunch of lies by some scoundrel.
Any advice would be most welcome, thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DJI drone footage aliasing
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:31:56 pm

Are you viewing at full quality in FCP? What do exports to ProRes look like? That it looks good in QT Player and bad in both 7 and 10 tells me you're likely either previewing at lower res or your project/sequence settings do not match the footage. Post some stills....

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

philip john
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:32:11 pm

Been off for a while. Right I've exported as pro Rees (hq) and 4444 and apple animation with no improvement or elimination of the aliasing lines. The sequence setup is imx 30 (don't ask...) so yeah I thought that maybe the problem so I'll make another sequence in the problem clips settings - like for like - same problem. Suddenly I'm thinking that I need to do a full render...I'm not explaining that very well I need to be in front of my Mac to get the terms exactly right. I mean a full render in terms of - fcp 7 speak - turning all of the sequence render colour from dull green to dull blue, 2 levels above bright green proxy. I guess that means rendered field and rendered frames which would make total sense.
Thanks for helping me get on this thought I'll let you know the results.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 23, 2015 at 1:18:52 pm

Sounds like you could fix this via Field Dominance Override... select the drone clips in the browser, and go to the inspector's 'Info' pane - toggle to the Settings view - and change the override from Upper First to Progressive. Your timeline (project) settings should also be set to progressive to see the result. Clips that have already been cut into the timeline will also need to have this setting changed.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

philip john
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:33:23 pm

Thanks I'll give this a go along with the other options that have been suggested/prompted new ideas.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 23, 2015 at 6:08:25 pm

Is it Inspire 1 footage?

Put your viewer at 100% and it should look much better.

I see the same, but exports from the timeline are good.

I have also turned the sharpness all the way down on the camera as I believe it's over sharpened.

Looking forward to the new X5 camera.

Return to posts index

philip john
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:36:17 pm

Typically I haven't been given any info about the camera, I'm trying to fix it for someone else who's emailed me a short section to try some options. I'll give your suggestion a whirl. Thanks. Oh I'll ask about the camera, and I'll speak to the drone guy when I see him he's a switched on fella but if he doesn't come up with a satisfactory answer I'll kick him in the shin.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:48:41 pm

[philip john] "I'm trying to fix it for someone else who's emailed me a short section to try some options. "

Perhaps that might be your issue? You need access to the original footage.

Return to posts index

Michael Surcombe
on Nov 13, 2015 at 10:19:52 pm

I am he!
I think I may have the solution.
(don't kick me in the shin either way)

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Oct 24, 2015 at 12:02:01 am

Had this problem the other month with DJI footage.
There is no solution unless you deliver progressive - is that an option?
Tried all the plugs BCC etc...got some mediocre results.
Basically the camera is too sharp for interlaced broadcast lines - the operator needs the next one up so they can hang a GH4 off it.
And by rights, DJI need to fix this...

Good luck,
Jon.

Return to posts index

philip john
on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:23:36 pm

Hi - I've been off for a while. Progressive was not an option. Some anti-aliasing, a little sharpening, and a half % Gaussian blur makes it 'okay'.
I just can't understand how it looks fine in QuickTime player and not in fcp 7 or X. The only thing I haven't tried is to export the mov as individual frames and bring them in as a sequential files sequence so they're a bunch of photos etc though I can't see why that would work but I'm a curious guy.
To be continued!

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 3, 2015 at 10:29:34 pm

[philip john] " Progressive was not an option. Some anti-aliasing, a little sharpening, and a half % Gaussian blur makes it 'okay'."

Are you saying Progressive override didn't correct the aliasing, or are you saying that final delivery must be interlaced? May be a difference without distinction, but a difference nonetheless... it sounds like you're aiming for progressive output.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]