FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve smooth cut vs. mMorphCut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Resolve smooth cut vs. mMorphCut
on Oct 22, 2015 at 3:44:19 am
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Oct 22, 2015 at 3:47:18 am

The winner is mMorphCut. I recently had a series of interviews for a client with little or no b roll. Could only use the cut in/cut out trick so much. At some point it's choppy if you're piecing bits of sentences together. Resolve smooth cut came to the rescue. For free! Of course I couldn't actually edit the pieces in Resolve because it lacked even a basic push transition w/motion blur I needed as well as a shaky cam filter or simple title animation. And it's playback of 4k in a 1080p sequence isn't all that. BUT the smooth cut transition was pretty great. Today I had some re-edits. So instead of going back to Resolve, I redid them with the newly released mMorphCut from motionvfx. https://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-97.html mMorphCut handled the more complicated ones much better. SmoothCut came out closer to a dissolve on a few. All in all, both are good, but having a better effect built into FCP X is obviously the way to go.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Resolve smooth cut vs. mMorphCut
on Oct 22, 2015 at 9:02:45 am

Heresy, I know, but you could try the fluid morph transition in Avid. It's been in there since Avid Illusion was killed off... Must be at least 10 years now. Back to the Future!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 22, 2015 at 12:04:43 pm

I could but I wrote them off many kids and about 20 pounds ago.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 22, 2015 at 4:04:17 pm

The MorphCut from Motion Vfx is one of those tools I will very likely be buying soon for my FCPX setup, because it will be very useful repairing blown takes in the kind of work I often have to do. Right now, I artificially re-frame to create close-ups to cover these problems, but as you say, do that too many times over a short period, and it stops looking "motivated" (I.E., used to punctuate an idea by adding visual emphasis) and instead just looks jumpy or jittery. Morphcut is a kind of cheat, but used ethically, will be quite an improvement.

I also like the low price. I can afford to buy this plug out-of-pocket, rather than wait a year for office software procurement processes to get around to ignoring me;-P

I think making the ecosystem easy as possible for plug devs is what can accelerate major improvements to FCPX and keep it competitive.

Please, now, somebody, I want a cheaper alternative FCPX plug-in to maccaption for closed and open-captioning video for broadcast. Or at the very least, a built-in transcription utility in the ingest options. While it's already listening to and tweaking the audio on import anyhow, why not let it transcribe to text too?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 22, 2015 at 8:06:09 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Oct 23, 2015 at 8:59:00 pm

I bought mMorphCut and It works well. I've played with the Premiere and Resolve versions and this is on par with them.

My opinion, for those who haven't played with this sort of plugin, is that it's great for small things like ummmms and ahhhs and too-long pauses, but (as you'd expect) the greater the movement between the clips, the less effective it is. Chances are you will still have to reframe footage from two completely different takes unless you can find a very similar point to cut them together.

Medium shots of people who talk with their hands are pretty much a no-go zone for this type of effect.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 23, 2015 at 2:01:13 pm

I was just thinking about making this purchase... great information. Thanks Jeff!

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]