FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding or removing keyword deletes notes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Hickler
Adding or removing keyword deletes notes?
on Oct 21, 2015 at 5:55:41 pm
Last Edited By Fred Hickler on Oct 21, 2015 at 6:37:01 pm

OMG FCP can be soooo frustrating!!

So I've accepted that I can't change in and out points of logged sections.

So now I am logging sections of clips. I select a range, apply keywords and add notes to that range. If I then change my mind and remove or add a keyword, the contents of the notes field disappears. Is this for real? Am I doing something wrong? How are people able to effectively log with this method?

Just to be clear - I'm not talking about a note that you add to the entire clip via the inspector. I'm talking about a note that you add in the browser to a keyworded range within a clip. This is what I understand to be the recommended method for logging ranges of clip, as when logging a long interview clip.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Adding or removing keyword deletes notes?
on Oct 21, 2015 at 7:41:59 pm

Makes perfect sense to me. A keyword range is effectively a sub clip. If you were to add a note to a sub clip, then delete the sub clip, what would you expect to happen to the note?

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:02:21 pm
Last Edited By Fred Hickler on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:06:22 pm

But I'm not deleting a sub clip. I'm adding or removing a keyword. For example, say I have a clip of Jim talking about some early memories. So I add keywords "Jim" and "Family" and add a note saying "Jim discusses his relationship with his family and life growing up in his neighborhood". Later I realize he also mentions his parents in that clip range, so I decide to add the keyword "Parents". Boom - my carefully constructed note that I had planned on using for searching and logging purposes disappears. This just seems wrong to me. Or at the best an extremely annoying issue that can be worked around with actions that add extra work and interrupt my thought process and work flow. Like, if I ever want to make a keyword change, I suppose I would first select and copy the note, make the keyword change and then paste the note back. Or is there a better way to do this?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:06:46 pm

Actually no you are effectively making a subclip. Keywords do not ripple back to original clips. Therefore when you delete the keyword you are deleting any additional information you have added to the subclip you made from the original. I'd suggest perhaps looking into a bit of workflow training or at least read:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_keywords_douglas.html

and

https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-find-media-using-keywords/

FCPX does work incredibly well when used as its designed. But in certain workflows it will fight you if you don't quite know what it's looking for such as your case.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:22:38 pm

I mean I can kinda understand it if there is only one keyword and I am removing it, then yes that is like deleting the sub clip. But if there are several keywords already, and I then add another keyword or remove one of them, doing that does not delete the sub clip. The sub clip persists, and it just seems like the other info associated with the sub clip should not disappear.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:20:31 pm

Keywords and Favorites are all just sub-clipping for lack of a better word in other NLEs.

I just did what you're saying and it doesn't delete any note for me.

In list view in the browser, I make a range. Then drag that range to a keyword in the event. Great, now I have essentially a sub clip sort of listing for that keyword under the main clip when I twirl down the arrow. Now, I go over to the note field and add something. Cool. Now I decide that I need to add another keyword to that range. I drag that same still highlighted range to another keyword (which is listed on the same line because they're the same range) and the note doesn't disappear.

Please explain your keyword process and I'll see if I can replicate.

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:37:24 pm

Ok - now that is interesting. When I do that the note disappears. I'm now wondering if it is the version of ftp - I haven't upgraded from 10.1.3 yet.

just to be clear - I am talking about the note that is associated with the sub clip that I enter under the "Notes" column in the browser - NOT the note for the entire clip that is entered into the inspector.

Because the note definately disappears as soon as I add another keyword. When you say "drag that range to a keyword in the event" I assume you mean drag from the range selection to the vertical list of keywords in the library panel that you see when you twirl down the event. (I was using the keyword HUD to add/remove keywords) If so, I was getting the same result in either case no matter how I did it - the note disappears. If you meant something different, please let me know.

I will upgrade and see if that helps. If not then you are apparantly doing something different than I am and I would like to know what it is.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:48:45 pm

Yes. I create my keywords by right clicking on the event name. Then I drag ranges (usually whole clips) to the keywords. Essentially like making bins and putting the clips in them, except the same clip or portion thereof can exist in multiple bins(keyword collections).

So yes that's how I'm doing it and the not does't get deleted.

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Oct 21, 2015 at 8:56:03 pm
Last Edited By Fred Hickler on Oct 21, 2015 at 9:00:56 pm

Ok - so there is some difference between what you are doing and what I am doing.

- When you say "Note" you are talking about the note associated with the subclip entered in the "Notes" column of the browser and NOT the note associated with the entire clip? In other words I am talking about the note that is inlne with the keyworded subclip in the clip list - not inline with the main clip name

- Are you on v10.2?

I am in the process of upgrading from 10.1 and will report back when I have had a chance to test.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2015 at 9:06:12 pm

Yes the note associated with the keyword(s), not the entire clip.

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Oct 21, 2015 at 9:31:14 pm

Holy crap that was it! Just upgraded, no disappearing notes. Sorry to take up everyone's time on something that turned out to be so dumb, but I appreciate the responses. It helped me narrow down the issue. Next time I will make sure my software is current first before posting any issues. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 21, 2015 at 10:16:58 pm

Shouldn't have taken 3 years for Apple to fix it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]