FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit h264 in 4k

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Edit h264 in 4k
on Oct 17, 2015 at 4:29:23 am

Don't you just love it when you suddenly realize at the end of the project that you've been editing natively in 4k with non optimized h264 footage in a 4k sequence without rendering and with color correction, filters, and transforms and your late 2012 iMac with TB 1 Raid 5 didn't even hiccup? Also monitoring via 1080p on BMD Ultrastudio Express without issue.

And then isn't it great that you can just go into sequence settings and change the sequence size to 1080p and everything falls in line with no adjustments needed whatsoever?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Edit h264 in 4k
on Oct 17, 2015 at 2:22:44 pm

I love when that happens! :-D

Wait... the late 2012 iMac only came with a Core i5. Are you saying that you're editing native 4K with a Core i5? That's truly impressive!

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 17, 2015 at 2:41:51 pm

On my top-spec 2013 iMac 27 with media on a Pegasus R4 array, I can edit a single stream of native 4k H.264 fairly well, but multicam requires using proxies (for me).

Certain computationally-intensive effects are agonizingly slow on 4k, such as stabilization (either FCP X or Coremelt's Lock & Load), Digital Anarchy's De-Flicker, etc. This is no surprise -- it's 4x the data so it's like using a computer several years old. It's actually amazing FCP X handles it as well as it does.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 17, 2015 at 5:58:10 pm

There really hasn't been much bet a has well minor speed bump on the i7 tech since 2011. Retina is nice, and I may have to go 2015 for the 4gig GPU. But it's just not compelling enough. The 2012 is still worth almost $2k maxed out.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 17, 2015 at 5:54:03 pm

No. It's a 27" i7, 3.4ghz with 2gig 680mx, 32gigs RAM and fusion drive. The 2011 had i7 as well. In fact the current machines aren't really that much better. You can get a 4hgz with retina. But the big increase is the 4gig AMD gfx card.

The h264 is possible because the i7 has h264 acceleration.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 18, 2015 at 12:03:52 am

Ok that make sense. Yea, in general CPU's have not gotten compellingly faster I agree.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 18, 2015 at 10:48:34 am

[Bret Williams] " It's a 27" i7, 3.4ghz with 2gig 680mx, 32gigs RAM and fusion drive...In fact the current machines aren't really that much better."

That is an Ivy Bridge CPU, so it's three generations back from the currently shipping Skylake. Each generation slightly improves IPC (Instructions Per Clock), so overall at the same clock rate Skylake might be 15% faster. Then you pick up 17.6% from the 4Ghz clock rate, so your overall CPU improvement might be about 30% faster (depending on workload).

Although most of your media is probably external, doing from FD to SSD would also pick up some performance. The GTX-680MX is well-regarded for its performance in that class, but the M395X is probably somewhat faster -- haven't seen any benchmarks yet.

As we move toward H.265 and VP9 codecs, the improved Quick Sync in Skylake supports this so that will be important in the future. You have a great machine and fortunately we FCP X users have integrated proxy workflow (unlike Premiere) but the demands of 4k are so great it might be time to start thinking about an upgrade.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 18, 2015 at 1:38:31 pm

It's pushing 4 years oleander according to geek bench, it's still the 7th fastest non-Xeon Mac. 20th overall. So taking into acct that personally my needs fit the i7 more than the Xeon, it certainly is hard to upgrade to a 2015 to move up a couple notches. The slight performance gain would only apply during 10
% of my work, and even then only give a marginal gain. 4gig GPU is about the biggest draw.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]