FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Reference Clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael W. Towe
Camera Reference Clip?
on Oct 15, 2015 at 3:18:14 pm

Hey folks,

I ran into an issue that I haven't delt with before and want to tap into your knowledge regarding it. I received a project from a client to do a finish edit. The project already had the media imported into it, but there were some clips that were showing up as camera referenced clips. In the event and on the timeline they were showing as camera missing.

The footage came from cameras that were shooting AVDHD and the card structure had been copied to the drive I was woking off of. The card structure was the basic Card1 folder that when opened had the one file named Private and in it were all the clips.

I tried to reimport the footage by pointing to the card on the drive but it wouldn't reimport, it would just link back to the files in the card but still show them as camera referenced clips. My eventual work around was to create a new library, import the clips there and then copy the event in the new library into the old library.

Now I have seen camera reference clips before, but only if I have had a crash on import and the files never got fully imported. The client assures me this is not the case. However I am wondering if his editor closed out of FCPX while importing and that's what caused these camera reference clips.

In the end though, my question is, is there a way to tell FCPX to go ahead and import the Camera Reference clips into the library once they have been created?

Thanks in advance!

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Camera Reference Clip?
on Oct 15, 2015 at 5:47:18 pm

Usually this happens when a clip is imported directly from a card- so perhaps the copy you had wasn't complete. Sometimes it just happens anyway and you have to do what you did. If you can make it happen repeatedly with the same clip- send feedback to Apple.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
Re: Camera Reference Clip?
on Oct 15, 2015 at 6:51:52 pm

So follow up on this as I did a little experimenting...

I started the import and then quit FCPX as I am assuming this may have been what the client did. It gives me the warning that I have background task that need to be stopped, which would be the importing. It even opens the background task window so that I can stop them. If I stop the import and then close FCPX I'm screwed. Because even if I reopen and try to "Reimport from Camera/Archive" it can't find the files. However if I do a straight import and just point to the card structure on the drive it will relink the files, but they will still be a camera reference file. And there is no way to finish the import. I even tried consolidating and that didn't work.

Here's the odd thing though. If I stop the import without quitting FCPX I will get camera reference clips, but I can do a "Reimport from Camera/Archive" from the File/import menu and it will see the files and continue the import. It appears to be the act of closing FCPX without having the files fully imported that basically orphans this clips as camera reference clips.

Also for those that don't know, you can't share a timeline if it has camera referenced clips in it. So the lesson learned here is 2 fold.

1- Never close FCPX with incomplete imports from a camera card structure.

2 - Don't start editing if you have camera reference clips in your event. Delete those files and reimport.

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]