FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add Marker to Timeline not Clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Add Marker to Timeline not Clip
on Oct 7, 2015 at 8:18:05 pm

Hi, is there a way to add a marker to a project timeline vs a clip in the timeline? E.g., I want to mark where the 1min mark is. Or should I use an out point?

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
Re: Add Marker to Timeline not Clip
on Oct 7, 2015 at 8:48:33 pm

If you have a clip selected while adding a marker, the marker is added to the clip. If you don't have a clip selected the marker is added to the timeline at the playhead position.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Oct 7, 2015 at 8:53:08 pm

Hmm..yeah, that's how it worked in 7. But it's not working for me that way in X.

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Oct 7, 2015 at 8:54:32 pm

is the timeline window selected when you try to add a marker?

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 7, 2015 at 8:59:34 pm

Markers are only added to clips.

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Oct 7, 2015 at 9:11:16 pm

I'm sorry. You're right Bret. I jump back and forth between FCPX and Premiere I sometimes get them messed-up. (One more reason to confirm stuff before posting...)

I suppose one thing you could try is to add an empty title to the entire length of your timeline and then add markers to that.

Sorry for any confusion

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 7, 2015 at 11:34:22 pm

They definitely should have timeline markers

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:12:13 am

No timeline markers. However if you think about how the magnetic timeline works it would not be much use anyway. If you really want something like it- add a project length generator and disable it. Then you can put a marker anywhere you want. But it would still move relative to the connection point so it's not really a viable workflow in FCPX.

Better to put markers on specific clips and seek them in the timeline index.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:52:55 am

I think it's completely viable. If I want to place a marker or reminder at 2:15, or 5:00, or 1:00 it's completely irrelevant if the timeline is stuck in constant ripple mode. It's just the reverse of the way markers worked in legacy. For years the markers were fixed, but eventually a preference was added to permit markers to ripple with the sequence. Keeping to X's reverse thinking, there could simply be a preference to have markers NOT ripple. If Apple wanted to harp on the magnetic nature, they could call them Primary markers or something and apply them to the primary. Not the clip in the primary, but to the primary itself. So they would move if you extended a primary clip, rippling everything downstream, but would remain in place if you deleted a clip leaving a gap. The latter being an example of why having markers exist only on clips is a problem.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:15:14 pm

It would be more relevant if you were cutting to time but if you were cutting to content it would be fluid and not that important.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]