FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions please.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Suggestions please.
on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:09:59 pm

OK bare with me...

We shot a short film on an F55 using a RAW recorder and separate sound recorder (SD633)

I used Resolve to make editorial pro-res files with synced audio and burnt in LUT to Prores LT.

I have now finished the edit, Theres a chance I might be getting a grade done in Baselight but in case that doesn't happen I've taken an XML back into Resolve and made the basic changes I want there to the RAW files (LUT etc), however I can't seem to get it to work.

Ideally what I would like would be a cut list, so get Resolve to only re-export the files I've actually used. I was trying to do this manually but I have renamed a few files (e.g. CELL005 to Josh Mid) in FCP X, and its not quick to work out what the original file name is.

I exported an XML from Resolve but that refers only to the MFX files, not MOVs

The only other option is to re-export all the transcodes from Resolve as Prores 444 files with the LUT burnt in it seems a waste of Render time.

Any thoughts?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Suggestions please.
on Oct 7, 2015 at 3:01:35 pm

Don't know as this sounds like a bit of a hot mess. But this would maybe be better asked on the Resolve official forum as this doesn't sound very FCPX-specific.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 7, 2015 at 7:05:57 pm

This all sounds pretty standard for a film/raw workflow. What isn't working? Does Resolve not allow you to relink to the raw files? Will Resolve natively decode these files if you just import then directly? Are they segmented in any way or are all frames/clips whole? In other words, do you need to stitch the files together in some way?

When you say cut list, please clarify. I presume you only want the raw files corresponding with the locked cut. Right? I don't believe Resolve would be able to generate new, trimmed raw files. Only rendered files in a new format. So if you send it for Baselight correction, you'll need to send all the media, unless you can isolate what was used and what wasn't.

Why would you want to bake in the LUT? That limits what can be done in the grading if you sand it to a Baselight session.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Oct 7, 2015 at 10:11:08 pm

Sorted now.

My mistake was not to do a round trip XML out of Resolve. I think I originally did "export XML" out of the sequence. Once I selected "FCP X roundtrip XML" in Resolves deliver menu, FCP X rebuilt the timeline properly, and it was then just a case of making a compound clip and dropping it over the original sequence and the audio.

Thanks people.. Nothing like learning on the job - even if it is a self funded short.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]