FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing clips with compound clips throughout a project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Wex
Replacing clips with compound clips throughout a project
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:53:10 pm

Hello all

I'm quite new to FCPX, but beginning to get the hang of it. There is one thing I would like to do which I am completely stuck on though, and wondered if somebody here could help:

A colleague is editing the first assembly of a feature (shot entirely on green screen) using FCPX. I am putting together rough plates for all the shots to drop in behind the roughly keyed footage. So far, I have been opening up the project, creating compound clips for each clip where I want to add in a background, and making my composite in that compound clip. This works well, but I am doing a lot of extra work where there is a scene with lots of cuts: basically I have to go through this process for every clip, and it would be far, far quicker to do it just once per slate. Of course, I could ask my colleague to create compound clips in the browser for every clip that he's going to use and then edit using them, but he's had a few weeks head start on me and there's a lot done already.

Is there any way that I can replace ordinary clips in the project with compound clips from the event editor?

I'm using FCPX 10.2.2

Many thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Replacing clips with compound clips throughout a project
on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:55:59 pm

Have you looking into audition clips instead?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Tom Wex
on Oct 7, 2015 at 3:07:09 pm

Hi, I've looked into audition clips now and they look very useful, but don't solve my problem: my colleague has already used the same clip multiple times in a project, and I want to replace all of these with a reference to the same compound clip (or audition) so that I only have to pull one key and make one composite for the shot. At the moment, for a shot that is used 10 times in a scene, I'm faced with making 10 identical composites (or auditions). Unless I'm missing something?

Thanks for the help

Tom

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:10:33 pm

Unless the clip being referencing is baked in from the event itself i.e. not a Compound Clip you won't be able to replace it 10 times automatically. Some stuff you still gotta put in the sweat to complete.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]