FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unconnect or Unlink a song from video while editing a music video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Unconnect or Unlink a song from video while editing a music video
on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:49:15 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a music video and I have my Song on the bottom and I started putting clips over it. Is there a way I can Un-Link" or "Un-Connect" the Song from the Videos?

If I put a clip down on the timeline and leave a gap between 2 video clips, when I go and paste another clip in-between those 2 clips, the song and the clips all move to the right. I don't want that. All I want to do is Copy a clip from one Timeline and Paste it into the music video timeline between 2 clips that have a gap in them and not have anything move. I want just the video to be placed there and that's it.

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Unconnect or Unlink a song from video while editing a music video
on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:57:36 pm

I would suggest in a music video that you put all the video as connected clips, and the music in the timeline, since the music is the narrative you're connecting the shots to.

That said, if you want to move things around without them shifting, use the P tool instead of the A tool.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:57:21 am

Or make a clip with timecode burnin and the music as the main storyline- make it easier to work with at than just pure sound. When you're close to done- overwrite to the primary storyline.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:20:19 am

You're aware there is a TC readout right there in the middle of the interface right? :P

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:36:20 am

No I missed that all this time- wow convenient! /s

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:13:46 pm

Hit option-v to paste as connected.

If you want to move to primary after that, select the clip and hit option-command-down arrow, or hold the p key and drag the clip down.

An alternate method would be to match frame from the first timeline, navigate to the main timeline, and either overwrite or replace edit.

So, that would be, select your clip, shift-f, command left or right bracket to navigate to the other timeline, select the gap with c, and either hit d to overwrite or option-r to replace. This method is fast once you get the keystrokes down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]