FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting master file with dual mono

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Wolf
Exporting master file with dual mono
on Sep 28, 2015 at 6:52:11 pm

I have shot 15 days of footage for a doc with my GH4, usually with two separate audio tracks (one lav, one camera mic) and imported the material into FCP X.

The edit is going to be done by someone else, somewhere else.

Before handing over the footage to the director, I edited out the rubbish and exported every day of shooting as one master file (Apple Pro Res 422). But I noticed when you export as a master file, it becomes stereo. I want to export in dual mono. How can I do this?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Exporting master file with dual mono
on Sep 28, 2015 at 7:27:55 pm

So you want the two sources mixed together on both tracks? That's what dual mono is. Both tracks out both channels. As an editor I'd be a bit annoyed if you sent that to me.

Return to posts index

Alexander Wolf
on Sep 28, 2015 at 8:17:57 pm

No, ofcourse I don't want the two sources mixed on both tracks. Sorry I misused the terms, Brett. I am ignorant, that's why I ask a question.

When in FCP X I want to edit the separate tracks, I change the setting from Stereo to Dual Mono. That's why I assumed I needed to export it that way.

When I export a Master File, FCP X automatically exports the audio as stereo. I imported the file again to check if I was still able to hear the two different audio sources but they are mixed on both channels. So I'm annoyed.

Anyone know where I'm screwing up?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 8:44:14 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Sep 28, 2015 at 8:44:58 pm

Stereo just refers to a grouping of 2 tracks, one panned left, one panned right. Within an NLE it's really just terminology that requires the two to always be adjusted as a pair. They could just as easily be two mono tracks within a stereo sequence, with one track panned left, and one track panned right.

My point is that you already have what you need in a stereo output if all your footage already has the mic on one channel and the other mic on the other and X is reading it as stereo, then why muck with it? The other editor would be able to do what they want with it.

OR you could go through a number of hoops in X to get the same result. You could make your stereo footage be dual mono, then open up each clip's audio components and highlight channel 1 and then go to the audio inspector and choose to do stereo pan. Then pan it left. Then with channel 2 pan it right. Now you have your two mono tracks coming out separate speakers. Ch 1 panned left, and channel 2 panned right. Which is what you had originally as a stereo clip.

Now, mapping clip channels to specific discreet output channels is something else that you might want to do if you had more sources. Perhaps you would have FX, music, VO, dialog, etc. and you'd want to map each to a discreet output channel so they can be separated by the editor. This gets trickier. You'd use roles and in the share dialog settings choose "roles as multitrack QT movie." So any clip set as dialog would be mapped to the track of your choice in the output. But still, you can only apply one role to a clip, so you'd probably still map your stereo source footage to a stereo track. The only way to separate them into mono tracks would be to break them apart in the timeline from their video counterpart and assign each to a separate role, then map that to a separate discreet channel on output.

So eiher breaking into roles or panning mono audio components are both significantly more time consuming than just leaving your stereo footage stereo in a stereo sequence. The latter just takes care of itself. Hand off the footage to the other editor and say "left channel lav, rt channel camera mic." You can even call it channel 1 and channel 2 if you like. If you've already deemed your footage dual mono in the inspector, just highlight it all and change it back to stereo. Bingo, all your footage audio is mapped to ch 1 and ch 2. Nice and discreet. Output a stereo clip and it all stays discreet.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 28, 2015 at 9:38:17 pm

Do a role for each audio source. Export as a master file, roles at multitrack quicktime, and then set the two audio tracks to each be mono.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:11:00 pm

Isn't the dilemma that both his audio sources are part of the same video clip? One camera mic, one lav. To separate them as separate discreet mono outputs, they'd have to be separate roles. Which would mean disconnecting them from the video.

And in the end, you have lav ch 1. cam mic ch 2. Same stereo clip you started with from the camera.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:25:59 pm

I mean, if you want it guaranteed on it's own mono channel, just duplicate the project - detach audio, assign the roles from the timeline browser and boom that's it. Then delete the duped project and you're good. That's how I would just avoid any weirdness with dual mono or stereo or whatever FCPX exports. End of the day the imported QT video is tied to the audio.

X and the whole dual mono vs stereo thing throws me off sometimes so I just avoid any issues when I can.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:39:10 pm

All the apps are making a mess of it. Resolve, Premiere...

Legacy had it right. One track, one channel. All the clips pan or the tracks can be mapped to channels for output. It just made more sense to me. Having a clip and track mixer had further complicated things, but needed for advanced audio in premiere I suppose. Not sure why Resolve has a track mixer.

Return to posts index

Alexander Wolf
on Sep 29, 2015 at 9:36:52 am

Thanks for all your answers.

I still don't understand why I wasn't able to see the lav and camera mic as 2 separate tracks but today I imported a master file and was able to change Stereo into Dual Mono and saw the separate tracks. I don't know what happened yesterday but I wasn't able to do it then...

So I guess problem solved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]