FORUMS: list search recent posts

Silent Audio then 1 second fade Up Audio in same clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Silent Audio then 1 second fade Up Audio in same clip
on Sep 28, 2015 at 4:13:42 pm

Hi,

In the picture I want everything before the playhead to be silent and then have it fade up at the playhead for 1 second. How can I do this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Silent Audio then 1 second fade Up Audio in same clip
on Sep 28, 2015 at 5:06:12 pm

Take your mouse and go over to the left edge of the audio and drag it to the right. Then drag the little round ball to the right to create a fade.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 5:10:51 pm

I see you're working in audio components. Usually I wouldn't recommend this. It's hiding your work one layer deeper. I try and use components for surgical maneuvers. Most of the time, like may be the case here, you can use the inspector to turn off the audio tracks you don't need for a clip and just do the mentioned fade and trim with expanded audio. Showing audio components is digging a layer deeper into your audio. It's kinda like putting all your video filters in a compound clip or "opening clip in timeline" and putting filters there.

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Sep 28, 2015 at 6:12:53 pm

Hi Bret,

Ok I tried it this way.

I expanded Audio, went to the beginning of the clip, dragged it to the right up to the point where I want it to fade in. I then used the Circle and moved it up one second to create my 1 second fade in. I then set a range to level out the audio for the rest of the clip until the end where I used my circle to create a 1 second fade down. I have attached a picture.

Also, after I create a range and tweek my audio and move onto another clip. Is there a way to go back to a range that you set and other raise or lower the audio in case yu play it back and it's just not right?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 7:41:46 pm

I don't see where you've changed the audio with a range. There should be Keyframes. In your pic I still see audio components, not expanded audio, so perhaps the Keyframes are in expanded audio? Your fades don't look the same length either. Sure they're both 1 sec? To change the audio after keyframing it with a range, just drag the bar between the Keyframes up and down. Holding cmd will decrease the sensitivity. This all works essentially the same as FCP legacy if you're familiar. You can also highlight the clip and press ctrl +/- to adjust the entire clip as a whole.

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Sep 28, 2015 at 10:43:26 pm

Hi,

Here is a revision I did. Now both fades are 1 second and I made the 1st part of the clip a little louder than the 2nd part as you can see from the keyframes. ( I made a range in the first part and brought the levels up a little)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 11:05:51 pm

Couple things I'm not sure you're aware of. You don't need to make a range to keyframe audio. That's just a shortcut to make 4 keyframes. Usually you make a range around an area where the audio peaks. In your instance, I'd probably just make the 2 keyframes where I wanted them. Option click on the audio level line/bar to create the keyframes.

And not that it doesn't work, but you're still working in audio components. So when you close up the audio, you won't see the keyframes or the audio fades without opening up audio components. Like I said before, I wouldn't do that unless it's absolutely necessary. No reason to hide your audio work deep in the clip. For example, to adjust audio keyframes, you're going to have to "show audio components." If you would do the work just in expanded audio mode, which is only necessary for the trimming part, then you'd be able to add the fades and the keyframes in regular editing mode. You don't have to even expand audio components for that. Plus, all your keyframes will always be visible except in video only or super condensed timeline modes.

So not sure if you understood the difference between expanded audio and audio components. Expanded (ctrl s) just temporarily separates the audio visually from the video for trimming purposes. Audio components does the same, but shows all the inner tracks. It lets you put keyframes and fades in there, but it's generally preferable to keyframe in expanded unless you have to adjust each channel separately. A fade on a fade makes a mess. If you just need to turn off a channel, I'd do that in the inspector. If you need to turn off or adjust part of a channel, THEN I'd jump into components. But even there I might just keyframe part of a channel to normalize it with the other, then jump back into regular expanded mode to do an overall level change or keyframe a duck under VO, etc.

So if you knew all that, never mind! HTH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]