FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidate and trim media in FCPX Projects using DaVinci Resolve 12 dilemma

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Remmenga
Consolidate and trim media in FCPX Projects using DaVinci Resolve 12 dilemma
on Sep 22, 2015 at 5:26:50 pm

So, here is the deal.
FCPX can only relink to media which is an EXACT match in filetype, duration, etc. so the idea of trimming media based on what's used in a cut with handles is not really something Apple wants you to do.

But, I've been experimenting with bringing the FCPXML into resolve 12 and using the media management within Davinci to trim my media and relink to the new clips.

For the most part, it works like a dream, BUT there is always a seemingly random number of clips that just will not cooperate. Whether I copy or transcode them, is seemingly irrelevant.

I thought at first it was an issue with compound clips, but I'm noticing that some compounds work fine and others don't. And sometimes Wav's and MP3s and more. Whatever the clip, it is always that about 90% of them work fine, the rest just don't budge.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!! In a fit of frustration, I just tried to trim and copy the same stubborn clip over and over using the same settings and after about 6 tries, it just worked. As if it finally went, "Oh, you want this one too? I didn't realize.".....

Anyway, if anyone else has tried this, and had success with it, maybe you know what I'm doing wrong?

Right now I've tried two ways. Copy and trim/Transcode and trim.

I've done this with Entire Project, Timeline and just the clips (all clips and selected individuals)

Any ideas? Is this just a bug in 12?

I've been combing the net and it seems that everyone who has done this has used 10 or 11, but as of FCPX's most recent update, only 12 will read the XML without a converter. I could do that I guess, but it will add steps that I'd like to avoid and there's no guarantee it'll even work.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Consolidate and trim media in FCPX Projects using DaVinci Resolve 12 dilemma
on Sep 22, 2015 at 7:08:16 pm

Why not send a new FCPXML from Resolve to FCPX that is already attached to the new media?

Why try and reconnect your old timeline to the new media?

Return to posts index

Kyle Remmenga
Re: Consolidate and trim media in FCPX Projects using DaVinci Resolve 12 dilemma
on Sep 22, 2015 at 8:50:04 pm

That exactly what i just said I am doing.....
the problem is in resolve when creating the new project to send back.
the problem is in trying to create the new media in the first place.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2015 at 10:10:29 pm

Not sure I'm following.

You send an Fcpxml to resolve, import the media, and a few clips won't relink?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2015 at 10:13:11 pm

Re-reading, it seems like your having trouble relinking in fcpx, but if you've made new media, and the new Fcpxml is pointing to it, fcpx should relink.

Are you doing this on the same machine or is it a different machine for resolve?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 22, 2015 at 11:48:00 pm

Also, what codecs are involved?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Kyle Remmenga
on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:04:04 am

Jeremy no. I'm creating the trimmed media in resolve AND relinking to it prior to sending a new xml to fcpx. I don't want to relink anything in FCP. Some clips however, in resolve, simpky refuse to transcode or copy trimmed down to only the used portion, but most work fine.

Oliver. For the video clips I am using prores422 and a few Final cut optimized 422s whos source was DNx220 and h264. however, it is seemingly random. Some of the optimized works, some doesn't. some original prores works, some doesn't. the same holds true for using the original dnx or h264s instead of optimized. I'm truly at a loss.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:29:14 am

[Kyle Remmenga] "Jeremy no. I'm creating the trimmed media in resolve AND relinking to it prior to sending a new xml to fcpx. I don't want to relink anything in FCP. Some clips however, in resolve, simpky refuse to transcode or copy trimmed down to only the used portion, but most work fine."

do those clips have reel and timecode info?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]