FORUMS: list search recent posts

VTR capture and HDMI video monitoring devices for FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Coulson
VTR capture and HDMI video monitoring devices for FCP X
on Sep 21, 2015 at 8:13:08 am

I'm editing with FCP 7, connected to an AJA I/O HD device which controls my external dvcam vtr and it provides HDMI video monitoring from the editing system. The device is connected to the Mac via Firewire 800.

I am considering upgrading to FCP X but have learned that the AJA I/O HD product doesn't support FCP X. Their current products include similar i/o devices but they connect via Thunderbolt. I had a look at Black Magic as well and couldn't find a product that can interface with and control my vtr, provide HDMI video monitoring and connects via Firewire. I've seen some USB 3.O devices but my MAC only has USB 2.0

Can anyone recommend a device that will work with this legacy MAC and FCP X?

I'd appreciate your help.

Cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: VTR capture and HDMI video monitoring devices for FCP X
on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:12:02 pm

Which legacy Mac are we talking about?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 22, 2015 at 3:54:50 pm

Would be nice if the ioHD would integrate with FCPX, but...

You can still use it for ingest using AJA's VTR Xchange app - it'll control the decks (serial works, accurate TC writes to files, too) and provide monitoring for them, just not within FCPX. I still use mine to capture from BetaSP from time to time, but I use it so infrequently that I don't miss the direct integration. I imagine you'll miss the live monitoring most, but that could be achieved using an inexpensive PCI card.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 22, 2015 at 9:12:43 pm

The AJA IoHD was the only capture device that worked with FCP classic that connected via firewire 800. Before that, it was the SD predecessor AJA IO (that connected via FW400). The only other capture boxes that connected via firewire were Avid only...Avid Adrenaline.

[Steve Coulson] "I've seen some USB 3.O devices but my MAC only has USB 2.0 "

And those Blackmagic USB 3.0 option are PC only...they won't work on your mac, even if you had a more current model with USB 3.0.

Sorry, if you want monitoring IO with FCX then you'll need to get a more current computer with Thunderbolt. BUT! And this is a BIG but... FCX will not interface with ANY I/O device for controlling a VTR. Apple seems to think that tapes no longer exist. You can, however, as mentioned, use the software that comes with the I/O device to capture the footage, and then import it into FCX. And you can use the devices to connect to an external monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]