FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I get the project file out of the library to save it to dropbox?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How can I get the project file out of the library to save it to dropbox?
on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:45:49 pm

I want to backup my project, but the actual library file is a couple of GBs. I imagine there is some file somewhere in the library, a file akin to project files from FCP 7, that I can copy if I "Show Package Contents" and save that file to Dropbox so I have a backup of my library. Am I right about this? What would the file be called?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: How can I get the project file out of the library to save it to dropbox?
on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:23:29 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:31:35 pm

There is not. If you're trying to send the project to someone then XML is probably the simplest. You can send the whole library or a project.

You could also move the media out of the library package to make the library smaller. Use the library inspector panel and set a new media location then consolidate the media and it will move your files out of the library and replace them with aliases. You could then delete render files to make it smaller too.

You could also try using a copy of an actual backup project from your backups folder (usually in movies folder).

I'm sure others will have other ideas. Just depends on if you're sharing or actually backing up for safety. If the latter, then I'd probably use the actual backups folder files. But even just uploading an XML is a pretty good backup.

Edit: I forgot you can also just make a library with just the project in it. I think it's under file>cooy project to new library or something like that. You should end up with a small library with aliases to just the media used in that project and just that project. The appropriate keyword collections will come along too. This is what I do when I finish a project, except I also consolidate the media INTO the library (I keep mine external during the edit) as an additional step and then put it on a mirrored USB 3 raid for long term backup.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 28, 2015 at 5:10:11 pm

Bret, let me play around with these. Good options. Thanks so much for this and other questions you've answered!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 28, 2015 at 5:33:42 pm

Probably start with the last thing I mentioned. Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]