FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX: Can't set up to use external hard drive instead of saving everything in "Movies" folder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Berkes
FCPX: Can't set up to use external hard drive instead of saving everything in "Movies" folder
on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:09:44 am

At the risk of sounding like a total rookie, I am having tons of trouble switching from fcp7 to fcpx. I want to make sure before I start any "libraries" or events or projects or whatever they are called now... that I set up an external hard drive so my computer doesn't get bogged down. I have watched many tutorials on how to format my hard drive and on all the videos it was then listed plain as day in the fcpx start up window. So why isn't mine there?

-I purchased a Glyph GT062E 6TB hard drive.
-I opened disc utility and chose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and erased it so it was formatted
-I open FCPX and only see an Untitled library with an event inside dated for today
-When I click import the Glyph drive does appear but I don't want to import anything yet, I want to tell my project to go TO the Glyph drive.

My computer is an iMac OS X 10.9.5

HELP PLEASE! Why can't it just be like in FCP7 when all you needed to do was "File-New Project-Save As" and tell it where to go?!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX: Can't set up to use external hard drive instead of saving everything in "Movies" folder
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:18:41 pm

[Ann Berkes] "At the risk of sounding like a total rookie, I am having tons of trouble switching from fcp7 to fcpx. I want to make sure before I start any "libraries" or events or projects or whatever they are called now..."

Which versions of FCPX are you on? The base level of organization is the Library (equivalent of the main project file in other editing applications). When you create a new Library for the first time, it will ask where to save it and what to name it. This is the point where you can store it to an external drive. Once created, if you highlight the Library icon in FCPX, the inspector info pane will allow you to modify media settings. Here you can determine where back-up files will be located and the location for other generated media types, like Optimized and Proxy media.

For tutorials, try Lynda or Ripple. Here are some of Ripple's freebees that might also be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj5Nh9NxSxdnDhAVic6WEnOINaIlmOWJk

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: FCPX: Can't set up to use external hard drive instead of saving everything in "Movies" folder
on Sep 19, 2015 at 2:51:21 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Sep 19, 2015 at 3:15:14 pm

Just to expand on Oliver's answer: A Library is just a special Folder (called a Package). So creating a Library creates a folder on your hard drive. When you create it you get to say which drive to create it on. The default one that's currently in your FCP X now is probably in your ~/Movies/ folder under your home folder on your boot drive. You can just create the new ones on your external drive.

The next concept is "when" do you create a new Library? There is no right or wrong answer. I like to create a new Library for each client. Then all of the work I do becomes Events in that Library and each event contains the Projects and Media. Some people like to create a Library for each project. If you were editing a multi-day shoot, the entire shoot may be a Library and each day's shots can be Events. So there is no one way to take advantage of Libraries other than they are a folder which means that everything you put in them sticks together as a package that you can drag onto another drive for archive/backup very easily. Given the structure Library -> Events -> Projects, a Library can be at whatever level you want it to be.

Like you, I keep all of my Libraries on an external drive that I can easily switch between my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro for editing regardless of where I am.

I also highly recommend Ripple Training. I purchased a couple of their titles and it brought me up to speed quickly on the concept in FCP X. It's important to wrap your head around these new concepts because it's different then how we traditionally approach editing. I found their Media Management in Final Cut Pro X to be particularly useful in understanding all matters of Libraries and collaboration.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 8:45:02 pm

Ann,

If your hard drive isn't showing up on your desktop go to the Finder menu (top left of your screen)
Go to General and click to Show Hard drives.
It's one of those basic things you generally do once and forget about afterwards.
: )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]