FORUMS: list search recent posts

Libraries vs Events

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Libraries vs Events
on Sep 18, 2015 at 8:00:39 pm

Ok, now that I've been working with FCPX for a while, I'm wondering how best to organize things. E.g., I have a few videos I've made for a client. I created a library for each. But would it instead be better to create one library per client (assuming I'm using the same footage for each piece) and then create an event for each video?

What say you, internets?

Thx!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Libraries vs Events
on Sep 19, 2015 at 2:23:08 am

[Jeff Krieger] "But would it instead be better to create one library per client (assuming I'm using the same footage for each piece) and then create an event for each video? "
That is how I would approach it. I usually make a new library for a collection work that I do for a client. Then each work is an event in that library. For example for the videos I make for Boris FX training, I have a library for Boris TV 2015 and then I have events like Episode 101, Episode 102, etc. This keeps things organized while still allowing to share media across events or have an event of common media. That's just the way I like to work with FCP X. Others may have different workflows.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:07:33 pm

when it comes to creating libraries vs events, I don't really have a set system but usually there's a top level group that makes sense. I guess I still think of libraries as projects so i tend to create a library for a specific project usually based around a specific shoot, and events for however many parts there may be to that project.

So for a series of interviews, there's a library for the interview series and each interview is an event, but if I shoot more interviews later in the year, then that's a new library with events for each of the interviews in that shoot. For something like a documentary, it's a library for the film, then a new event as footage comes in.

I keep all my media stored externally and fairly well organised in sensibly named folders so I'm not duplicating media if two libraries have the same footage, and I find the act of importing old footage again to a new library, helps me get better organised, plus I prefer to only see the things I need right now, to having a huge list of events and footage and projects that aren't relevant to what I'm currently working on.

Hope that makes some sort of sense...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 20, 2015 at 12:25:15 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "So for a series of interviews, there's a library for the interview series and each interview is an event, but if I shoot more interviews later in the year, then that's a new library with events for each of the interviews in that shoot. For something like a documentary, it's a library for the film, then a new event as footage comes in."
That makes perfect sense to me too. So if I had a multi-day shoot, the Library would be the whole shoot and each day would be an Event. I believe we're thinking the same way. Libraries are not fixed. They are the "top grouping that makes sense" based on the type of work (a season of episodes, a documentary, a multi-day interview)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 21, 2015 at 4:35:42 am

Everyone gets to work like they prefer, but to me - the divisions are mostly important to understand in terms of what communicated with what.

The Library level is totally self-contained. It connects to and communicates with mounted volumes (Drives and networks) but it's an island and is connected to and communicates with nothing external to itself in the X database.

if you want to use an asset currently in one Library in an event or project in another Library - you have to make a DUPLICATE of the asset and move it into the new Library. That consumes duplicate disk space.

An Event is distinct subset OF a Library - and as such can share assets with other events inside the same library via pointer duplication - NOT copying the asset.

You install the clip in the library - and store in in 20 events - it's still just one file. The Event is just an abstraction to help you organize your work, but not a "storage location" like a folder used to be.

A project works similarly. It's a container for your edit decisions, but it's not "connected" outside the Library that contains it.

To me, for a relatively minor client - I like to keep all their work in the same Library so I can readily share assets like project settings, logos and type treatments among various events and projects within the Library

But for a very active client, a Single client Library can get oppressively large and inefficient, so I'll create standalone libraries for large singular complex undertakings - whether it's an "EVENT or a single Project that might have many iterations.

The X designers left how we use the structure up to us.

Just like the keyword system, one of X's greatest strengths is in it's adaptability.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 21, 2015 at 7:16:03 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Sep 21, 2015 at 7:16:39 pm

[Bill Davis] "if you want to use an asset currently in one Library in an event or project in another Library - you have to make a DUPLICATE of the asset and move it into the new Library. That consumes duplicate disk space."

As long as it's on the same hard drive, it actually consumes no more disk space. It creates hard links that aren't aliases and appear in the finder as full media, but both libraries would point to the same media. You can even delete all the media from one project and the other media is fine. It's rather genius and I wish the entire OS worked this way. Not sure why every operating system doesn't.

Give it a try. Works the same way when you consolidate a project. Copying all the media is instantaneous and takes up no more drive space.

Here... go to 4:50 http://www.fcpworks.com/fcpx-hard-links-can-save-hard-drives/

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 21, 2015 at 9:45:53 pm

Thank you Bret.

I don't typically think in facility situations with super fast networked shared storage. If you do, Bret is correct - the networked nature of your system changes the rules.

Hopefully, you have someone (or some team) with the network smarts to manage the differences.

For editors that don't have the luxury and work without a NAS or similar centralized storage system - the Library is still a self contained island.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:08:55 pm

Incorrect. Copying a file from one library to another doesn't take up any more space on the same drive. Has nothing to do with networked storage. Is that what you're suggesting? Ever since 10.1, people started noticing that when they upgraded their libraries, choosing to make a backup, that it was instantaneous. And they looked at their libraries expecting to see aliases, but lo and behold, 500gigs had been duplicated. Instantly.

So people started looking into it and discovered Apple was utilizing hard links. They explain it in the video pretty clearly. You can test it out for yourself. Take a huge library and copy all the files to a new library.

For example, take a 300gig project with all the media in the library package. Highlight ALL the media. Create a new library and copy it to the new library. Immediately take a look at the background tasks. All you'll see is waveforms being created. You'll instantly find all 300gigs in the new package. Not aliases, not symlinks. Actual media. But it doesn't take up any additional space. That's a hard link. Two actual files pointing to the same piece of data on the hard drive. That data won't be deleted until all files referring to it have been deleted.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 22, 2015 at 3:42:56 pm

Two caveats:
1. The two libraries must reside on the same physical disk
2. The duplication must be performed within FCPX (Finder dupe will be a real dupe)

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 8, 2015 at 9:07:14 am

If within FCP X you duped the media to another library and then deleted the first library, would the media still be there? I can't get my head around how the media could (without using aliases) be in both libraries but not double the space. A library is just a container so how could the media be in two places at once without one or both referencing the media files?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 8, 2015 at 3:00:56 pm

[Craig Alan] "how [could] the media (without using aliases) be in both libraries but not double the space"

Think of the hard disk as a shed next to your house, and in that shed is a ladder (your data).

In this situation, an alias would be a sign at the end of the driveway with a picture of the ladder and an arrow pointing toward the shed. A hard link would be adding another door to the shed, so you can access the same ladder from two different entrances. Sealing up a second door doesn't change the ladder.

When you create a copy with the Finder, it goes down to Home Depot and buys another ladder to put in the shed.

FCPX opens new doors when you copy media from one Library to another on the same drive.

At least, that's how I understand it...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 8, 2015 at 11:52:18 am

I create a library per project and events tend to be shoot days and if the project drifts on a long time and some new assets or pickups come in from an extra shoot day I will create a new event called pickups (for example).

However I always keep back up libraries and it becomes a bit onerous backing up the entire library so I tend to create an extra library having imported the new footage library called "extra day backup" (for example) and copy the new event into that (backup) library so it will sit alongside the main project library on my backup drive.

Then if something does go wrong I copy the contents of the extra library into the main library and "merge events".

I suspect somebody is going to tell me this is a convoluted way of doing things but it kind of makes sense to me. Is there a better way?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:34:06 pm

I have gotten very stern and scary warnings from FCPS about sharing between libraries. And they seem to be valid, because when I get into trouble, that's one of the root causes for it, apparently.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:42:17 pm

[Mark Suszko] " have gotten very stern and scary warnings from FCPS about sharing between libraries. And they seem to be valid, because when I get into trouble, that's one of the root causes for it, apparently."

Thanks for the warning.

I always tend to copy back the event from the newer library into the main backup library before using stuff.

But it's goof to have one's card marked to deter me from getting lazy some day!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]