FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeing Range of clip other than on the bottom of the Browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Seeing Range of clip other than on the bottom of the Browser
on Sep 16, 2015 at 11:21:05 pm

Hi,

I am using Dual Monitors in FCPX. I have my timeline and my 2 windows (It looks like the Canvas and Viewer Windows in FCP 7) on the monitor that's in front of me. I have my Browser on the right screen.

When I load my Source Clip into my "Canvas Window" and and set my in and out points on it, the only way I can see how long it is between those points is to look at he bottom right of the browser, which is on my right monitor.

Is there a way to have the range of the in and out points somewhere else closer to the timeline or the 2 windows on my left monitor?

Thanks in advance.

FXP 10.2.1
Power Mac Intel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Seeing Range of clip other than on the bottom of the Browser
on Sep 17, 2015 at 11:29:24 am

If you hit control-d with the range selected, the middle timecode window will show you the length.

This area of FCPX needs some advancement, for sure.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:45:49 pm

True. But shouldn't have to look at the other monitor. One does the marking in/out on the same screen as the event, and the duration is at lest on the same screen. I'd love it if you could mark in / out and scrub in the Event viewer and had some better TC displays.

I feel like X had some fast updates and advancements in it's first 18-24mo after release, but in the last 2 years nothing but 3D. Changing the file system doesn't count imo. I feel like we're already in the FCP 6 stage of development. There will be another update to add in some requested features, but then even more crickets.

Hope I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:46:39 pm

[Bret Williams] " I feel like we're already in the FCP 6 stage of development. ... but then even more crickets."

They are probably busy fixing stuff that El Capitan will most assuredly break.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:50:23 pm

This whole move the development team around surely has something to do with their breakneck pace then tortoise crawl mo. And with AppleTV and a Watch having come out in previous years, I can be the priority for the niche pro side users has shown down. Hopefully as you suggest, it'll pick up when the watch and tv progress slows to a halt for a few years.

So the richest company on the planet has to share it's development teams. Awesome.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:14:48 pm

[Bret Williams] "So the richest company on the planet has to share it's development teams. Awesome."

I've repeatedly been told by people who should know, that the ProApps engineering teams are a lot smaller than the equivalent teams at Adobe and Avid. Of course, software development doesn't necessarily get better with more people. Sometimes it gets worse, because you add more variables.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:18:44 pm

PS: When I said they might be working on EC fixes, I didn't mean that they were being pulled off to work on EC as part of the OS team. Although that could certainly also be true. What I meant was that EC will probably break key architectures that FCP X and the plug-ins depend on. Therefore, this needs to be fixed before EC is released, so that an updated version of X is ready when EC launches.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]