FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting gap on timeline to make video and audio stay in sync.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Deleting gap on timeline to make video and audio stay in sync.
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:33:12 am

I have another question. I have 2 video tracks and 1 Audio Track. I synced them up and am eating with them. There is a point where I took out some of the footage and Audio I don't need. This left a Gap. I want to delete the Gap and have the Audio and Video connect to the clip to the left without it going out of sync.

When I try to do this, it erases the Gap but either the audio gets deleted or it's out of sync. I have noticed that a piece of the audio is connect to he gap. There is a little green piece that comes up from the audio and connect to the gap.

How can I delete the Gap and make the clips move to the left with both the Video and Audio so nothing gets out of sync?

I have posted 2 pictures.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Deleting gap on timeline to make video and audio stay in sync.
on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:24:51 am

The magnetic timeline prevents gaps from happening so the bigger question is how did you get the gap in the first place?

Looking at your timeline, you have an audio clip connected to the gap. This means that you cannot get rid of the gap unless you connect the audio to something that is not a gap. In other words, you can shorten the gap by dragging the left edge to the right until you reach the connected audio clip. Then you must decide what you want on the primary storyline that should be connected to the audio clip. Should it connect to the video on the left clip?

Do you see what I mean. You have audio with no video above it. You must decide what video belongs over the audio so that you can eliminate the gap. Then I would place that video on the primary storyline eliminating the need for the gap clip.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Sep 14, 2015 at 2:15:36 am

Hi John,

Here's what I did:

1) I connected the Audio to the clip to the right of it as you can see.

2) I then deleted the gap.

3) When I do that that, the clip moves over to the left against another clip. But the clip moves up one track and the overlaps.

How can I avoid the overlapping and that clip moving up one level? I want to be able to put a transition between the audio clips.

I have attached more pictures to show you what I mean.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2015 at 3:40:13 am

Things you can do... Connect the audio to something else. Cmd opt click where you want the connection to be. Then delete the gap. Or hold the tilde key when you delete the gap. If I remember right it'll still ripple it all down, but won't delete the audio. I think it'll move down and reconnect to the clip before the gap. Might be exactly what you want in this case.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:23:59 pm

Just tested. When you hold tilde and delete a gap or clip in the primary, the connected clips don't get deleted, BUT they don't ripple down either. They stay at the exact same location they were and everything else just ripples past them.

So in this scenario this a perfectly normal use of gaps. But you need to pay attention to what's connected to the gap when you delete it. The connections are supposed to take on meaning. So if you're deleting a clip the assumption is that all the associated connected clips should be deleted too. In this case you'll want to connect that upper clip to the clip after the gap before you delete the gap. Make sure it's associated audio is also connected to the same clip so that when everything ripples, they ripple in sync.

This is one of the many reasons you don't want your audio disassociated with your video. If this is a 2 camera shoot, it would have been cleaner to make the audio and 2 angles be a multicam clip. Or at least make synchronized clips from their respective audio and video clips before editing them into the timeline. If you broke apart the audio and video... don't do that. You don't need to almost almost almost ever. Once separated X doesn't associate them with each other in any way. During trimming the two can become connected to different items and then easily be thrown out of sync. X won't tell you they're out of sync either.

HTH

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:46:47 pm

Thanks for that Bret.

Well researched and reasoned.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:56:20 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:13:27 pm

Adam, It looks to me like you might not fully grasp how Final Cut Pro X, it's magnetic timeline, and the primary storyline works. I see screen shots with 3 gaps in them. That's rather odd to have in FCP X.

You need to ask yourself what is the primary story that I am telling. Then you need to lay that story out end-to-end with no gaps. Then embellish that with connected clips as needed. The only reason you would use a gap clip, is as a place holder for video you don't have yet and then when you do have that video you would use the Replace function to drop it on the gap clip to replace it.

I've placed some question in the image above. It really looks to me like your connected clip is telling the primary story. That's a bad way to work. Stop thinking about "tracks". Start thinking about story telling. This will help you organize your project much easier. The unbroken story that you are telling should be on the primary storyline.
[Adam Berch] "How can I avoid the overlapping and that clip moving up one level?"
By placing what is now your connected clip, onto the primary storyline. Your problem is that you're not using the primary storyline to tell your story. These are NOT tracks. They don't behave like tracks. There are no tracks in FCP X. There is a primary storyline with connected secondary storylines. This is a very different concept than tracks. Before you delete the gap, you should delete the hidden clip, move the connected video clip above down to the primary storyline (i.e., Overwrite to Primary Storyline), and then delete the gap to the left and the video will snap in place as you expect it to.

You want the gap to be removed up to the start of the connected clip. It doesn't work that way. The magnetic timeline is based on the primary storyline. Gaps get closed to that the primary storyline is continuous. Connected clips are moved as needed. If you want your connected clip to snap to the primary story, then make it the primary story. It is critical for you to understand this.
[Adam Berch] " I want to be able to put a transition between the audio clips."
The easiest way to do this is to fade one out while you fade the other in. There are fade handles at the end of every audio clip. Use them for their intended purpose.

It looks to me like you have a lot of "ideas" separated by gaps right now. I would go back and think about what story you are telling. Then lay down the clips that tell that story on the primary storyline. Then go back and select b-roll, cut-aways, audio, etc to embellish your story. Stop thinking about tracks and just think about moments in time that you want things to happen juxtaposed to the primary story. Once you get this concept, editing with FCP X becomes a joy. I get the feeling that it's just frustrating for you now.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:11:08 pm

[John Rofrano] " I see screen shots with 3 gaps in them. That's rather odd to have in FCP X.
"

In fairness, John, I could imagine reasons for all of them.
The top gap is a cutaway from the WS and the Medium in the primary. Maybe he's just testing the closeup - and plans to drop it in the primary later?
The middle gap has a connection point to a clip up and out of view. Might be something where he wants it - and deleting the gap will delete that connected clip?
And the shot on the primary covered by the connected clip is something I do a LOT while building sequences. I might consider the primary shot a compositing candidate, or just want to know what was there before. If it was a "problem clip" on my primary - say a jump cut that I KNEW I was going to want gone - I'd write the connected clip down to the primary and move on - but my "storylines in progress" look like this a LOT.

Yes, there all also could be signs of a new editor who's not expressing his edit ideas efficiently in X yet - but I'm OK with that too.

We all learn and see things differently. As long as he gets where he wants to go - even if the process is a bit messy - more power too him.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:30:10 pm

Yep. Looks like a standard A and B camera shoot. A cam on the primary, B cam as connected clips. A multicam clip might be better, but this is perfectly normal use of gaps. There are likely gaps where there isn't a shot or sometimes the camera was moving so it's an unusable shot. I do this all the time. Lay out the a and b cams, then delete any bits that are unusable. Then, whittle away at the B, all the while having a nice visual reference below of whether there is useable A cam available. No reason to ever move the connected clips into the primary and lose that contextual data. And heck, if your primary was just the VO (which is often the case) then you should have tons of gaps. Unless you're not a fan of breathing room in your stories.

Just looks like a newbie learning how it works. But gaps are ok!

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:56:47 pm

Thanks everyone. I basically solved the problem. I took the one clip that's on the higher track and moved it to the lower track and moved the lower track to he higher one. Then when I deleted the gap, it worked fine. I appreciate everything you did in trying to solve my problem.

I just asked a question about Audio and Dual Track mode. I hope you can help me out with that as well.

I have been working with FCP 7 for years and have that software down and am used to it. I'm working my way through FCPX. I'll get it soon as well Just need a little help no for certain things.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]