FORUMS: list search recent posts

Match Color Manually

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanos Papadopoulos
Match Color Manually
on Sep 8, 2015 at 12:20:39 pm

Hi everybody and thanks in advance for your time.

Fcp 7 had a feature where you could see the frame of the previous edit or the frame of the next edit, or even compare a frame with the effects and a frame without the effects etc.

Is this feature possible in fcp x?

I want to match two shots manually and it is helpful to see both shots at the same time.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Match Color Manually
on Sep 8, 2015 at 3:40:30 pm

If it doesn't, can you cheat by parking on the middle of a wipe?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 8, 2015 at 3:43:57 pm

One method is to compound the first clip and load it into the event viewer for comparison.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 8, 2015 at 6:22:55 pm

You might want to watch Denver Riddle's excellent free color grading tutorial using the affordable and excellent Color Finale to do just this. (You could use the same technique to grade adjacent scenes with the X's built in color board, of course.)

At about 22:50 or so, he addresses using the skimmer and scopes to match adjacent scenes.

Once again, the rule is to use X as X is designed, and don't get too stuck on trying to use X to recreate processes that you had to employ in your older NLE.

Have fun.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:53:17 pm

Meh.

Either creating compounds ad nasuem or scrubbing madly like a deckhand in the scuppers is hardly a slick way to compare shots. (No offense at all to Bill or Bret, as their suggestions are valid, I use them too.) But the devs should've addressed this long ago.

Don't get me wrong, I use X exclusively. Doesn't mean all its' design is good. Like this.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-Premiere-FCPX-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:34:47 am
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:30:27 pm

It's called ganging and a professional NLE should have it.

EDIT: wait, every NLE should have ganging but that wouldn't help here except comparing to the original. I need a nap. Never mind. Carry on.

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Sep 11, 2015 at 2:13:53 pm

Thanks everybody. I am also an fcp x user only but it bothers me that there are so many things missing from fcp 7. I'm not going back though but still.
Also the keyframes in color board!

Anyway, thanks.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:19:23 pm

As always Thanos, the longer you let yourself "see" FCP X mostly in terms of the way that your old NLE did things - the harder it will be to benefit from the new way it does things.

It's like buying an modern electric toothbrush and insisting on scrubbing up and down with it - just because that's how you did it when you brushed your teeth manually.

It took me months when I started using X to STOP mentally comparing it to how I had edited for the prior 10 years - but once I did - I started editing MUCH faster and getting much better results. YMMV

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 13, 2015 at 11:30:32 am

Bill, most of the time I agree with your pro-X bias, but this is just too fan boy, even for me. You cannot make your argument work in this situation. The workarounds mentioned can in no way be interpreted as a "good or better way, just different". One clutters up your database, the other is barely good enough to call it a workaround. And easy to see situations where it would be unworkable. This is simply a function X does not have. Like, Send to Motion.

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:45:33 pm

I agree with bob. It's not something different it's something that did exist and now it doesn't.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Jay Cederholm
on Sep 18, 2015 at 5:18:18 pm

I also have been missing this seemingly commen sense feature since moving from FCP7...and asking for it via feedback.
I consider this one of the "professional" like features that they have yet to address...hopefully will be implemented soon...rather than having to do some multistep, PITA workaround.

Also.....Send to motion.....please!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]