FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio sync issues in "X"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooke
Audio sync issues in "X"
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:00:06 pm

Maybe I need to just make all of these "compound clips" (Hate to), especially if I need to make revisions.
I almost always "separate my audio/video tracks- just makes it easier for audio editing. But FCP X gives you no "timeline guide" for when and if you accidentally knock the sync off with your video. (FCP 7 was great-floating a red box above the offensive clip telling you either + or - how many frames you were off. Does X have anything like this? I've now had 2 out of sync "on air" commercial issues, versus ZERO in FCP 7 after 7 years of being an FCP 7 editor. I'm only 8 months into FCP X and still feel like somedays, "I don't know what it, meaning X is going to do with my clips when I add or delete something.
Thanks,

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Audio sync issues in "X"
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:14:07 pm

[David Cooke] "Does X have anything like this?"

Nope. Big deficiency in X. That being said, it generally happens because you've detached the audio and then inadvertently moved a clip. Most of the time detaching audio isn't really required. So operationally, are there any specific suggestions that would help in that area?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:01:24 pm

[David Cooke] "I almost always "separate my audio/video tracks- just makes it easier for audio editing. "

Yeah, don't do that. :-) Not being flippant, there are certainly times when you need to; cheating dialog, using effects under different shots etc. And sync indication of some sort would definitely be a good thing. But most of the time, especially with sync dialog, expanding A/V or the components of multichannel audio lets you do everything you need. If you do detach the audio, take a second to ensure it's connected to the proper video clip.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:40:34 pm

Easier for audio editing but insanely tougher for editing in general in X! Don't detach if you can help it. And even when I do I usually duplicate the clip and turn the video opacity all the way down just so I've always got reference instead of detaching.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 9:36:35 pm

That sounds like a good practice. What about leaving markers at the head of the detached audio and matching video clips and at several points within so that you can always put Humpty back together again?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Sep 3, 2015 at 2:30:57 am

Thanks everyone for your response. I'll first try to just "expand the audio/video components and edit audio there without detaching. Then I'll try leaving markers associated with the video clips to move the audio back in sync. Hopefully this is something Apple's next software update will address.
David

D's Video

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2015 at 1:56:42 pm

"Easier for audio editing but insanely tougher for editing in general in X! Don't detach if you can help it. And even when I do I usually duplicate the clip and turn the video opacity all the way down just so I've always got reference instead of detaching."

That there is some genius-level lateral thinking! I'm going to steal that idea.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 2, 2015 at 2:38:53 pm

I guess another option would be to duplicate and detach from the duplicate instead of turning the opacity down. The original you'd have turn off the audio tracks of course if you were just adjusting for lip sync or whatever.

OT: Trying to do a simple project in resolve and enjoying the audio sync feature it has where you can take the external audio source and sync it with your camera clip with its on camera audio. Resolve lets you add the audio tracks to the original clip. They are listed in the clip attributes as linked tracks. So you don't have to clutter up the interface with another instance of a synced clip.

X could use some more work in these areas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]