FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can set a stabilizer default method pre-analysis?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris walker
Can set a stabilizer default method pre-analysis?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 11:36:10 pm

I lose a lot of time with stabilization because the fcpx stabilizer very often chooses to use the inertiacam method when what ends up looking best is the smooth cam method. Or it uses smoothcam with stabilization of scale and rotation when I really only need the translation stabilization. In fact, most of the time I just need smooth cam translation stabilization, with rotation or scale adjustments or inertiacam producing unwanted effects like a warping background. So I have to go back and change the method and wait for a re-render.

Looks like there isn't a way to tell the stabilizer in advance, pre-analysis, to start with smoothcam translation stabilization, but maybe I'm missing some setting or other. It would save a lot of time if it could be done. Or, is there an external stabilizer that allows default settings?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Can set a stabilizer default method pre-analysis?
on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:33:08 am

Don't stabilize until you put it in the timeline. It only analyzes the portion you use so you'd both save space and time because you could choose the type up front. (For multiple clips at once too for that matter)

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Sep 1, 2015 at 2:13:12 am

I should have said that it's always when it's in the timeline, and only the portion of the clip that needs to be stabilized. You mention choosing the type, but I don't see a way to choose the type of stabilization until after the stabilizer has analyzed the clip and applied the type it thinks (usually wrongly) is best. If there is a way to specify the type of stabilization beforehand, yes, that's what I want to know.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:55:35 am

You're right. But it only analyzes the clip once. Then you're free to switch between the different types of stabilization. It doesn't analyze it again when you switch types. You said it rerenders. Do you have auto render turned on? Turn that off for sure.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:18:10 pm

Don't I need it render it to see if it has been a successful stabilization with no weird artifacts? Kind of hard to tell just scrubbing through an un-rendered clip. Now, it's analyze, stabilize, render, check results, change method very often because stabilizer used wrong method, stabilize again, render again, check results. I'd like it to be just choose method first, then analyze, render, check results, and then only have to go back change method in rare cases where I chose the wrong one originally. But looks like it can't be done.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:35:33 pm

There's no need to render to see the results. Essentially all it's doing is applying transform/scale/distort.

My point though what does it matter when it does the analyze? It only does it once. The way it analyzes doesn't have anything to do with your type of stabilization. And if your system requires rendering to see the results then you'd have to render no matter what type you choose. But you shouldn't have to render. When it's done analyzing choose a type and hit play.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Sep 1, 2015 at 7:23:14 pm

I know that the analysis doesn't have anything to do with which stabilization method it chooses, and so choosing the method before or after analysis makes no difference. My point is that it chooses the method the first time, not me. I'd be fine with having it analyze first, but then not stabilize, and let me choose the method. I don't want to have it choose the wrong method, and then have to change the method and have it re-do the stabilization. And I know I have to render no matter which type I choose, but if the type of stabilization is correct to begin with I don't need to re-stabilize and render again.
However, I will go back and see it I can easily check the stabilization results without rendering. If so, at least I will only have to render once. But I will still have to stabilize twice far too frequently. So it still would be nice if the stabilizer let me choose the method the first time, and I wonder if other stabilizers do allow that.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 2, 2015 at 2:39:32 pm

[chris walker] "But I will still have to stabilize twice far too frequently"

This is what I don't understand. What do you mean by having to stabilize twice? It analyzes the clip. That is the stabilizing. Once it has analyzed (tracked) the motion of the clip, you can flip between the different types of stabilizing.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 3, 2015 at 9:26:01 pm

[Bret Williams] "This is what I don't understand. What do you mean by having to stabilize twice? It analyzes the clip. That is the stabilizing. Once it has analyzed (tracked) the motion of the clip, you can flip between the different types of stabilizing."
Sounds like Chris has auto-render turned on, and he's waiting for the (wrong) stabilization type to render... then switching to the desired method and waiting for the whole thing to render again.

My rig allows me to leave auto-render turned off, so I haven't seen this, but I completely understand the frustration of not being able to set a default value - or have it remember the last-used value.

Would be a nice time-saver to have the ability to save default values for specific effects / transitions / generators, etc.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:32:09 pm

Yeah, I touched on auto render in second reply.

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:58:41 pm

Guys, I appreciate the advice about having auto render off, but I'm wondering if there's something about my preferences than what you have, or something. Because I just checked and the problem is worse than I had originally remembered, even if nothing is rendered until the end. I just stabilized a short clip in the timeline, without rendering. The message "analyzing for dominant motion" was displayed as it did so. Fine, that's once. It chose "automatic" as the method and I didn't like that result so I toggled to smoothcam. It did indeed have to re-analyze; it displayed the same "analyzing" message as it did so. That's twice. But then, since when you first choose smoothcam you can't tell it how much smoothing to apply to the three parameters of translation, rotation, and scale, again it was wrong and I had to change the values to zero on rotation and scale. Now, for those changes it doesn't have to re-analyze, but still , it's a third step. So, waiting for analysis twice, applying a parameter change, and then finally rendering. That takes a lot longer than starting with smoothcam with parameters set the way I want, analyzing once and then rendering. How is it that your setup only requires one analysis? Or am I misinterpreting what you said?

Return to posts index

chris walker
on Sep 3, 2015 at 11:04:41 pm

My bad. I still had auto rendering on. Problem solved, with it off it does only analyze once and I am allowed to change both method and value of parameters without a re-analysis. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]