FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX 250 clips broken into 5 min clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
HPX 250 clips broken into 5 min clips
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:17:43 am

I did double post this since i'm asking for a a cause and a remedy.

Been using this camera for a long time without media issues. On this shoot, I used two cameras and two cards in each camera. Not sure if i messed up a setting when I set all the metadata to show on a broadcast monitor. There was no indication that the clips were being broken up into chunks. Most are 5 minutes long. I need to sync the two cams in post and that might prove a problem with these broken up clips.

What could have caused this and how to correct it if possible?

Here's the import:

My only other thought is I took a couple of shots on each cam and pulled out one of the media cards to play them in FC just to make sure that none of the metadata like timecode was being baked on the clips or any other problems.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HPX 250 clips broken into 5 min clips
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:43:42 am

Might be a disk formatting error- are you formatting in the camera or in the computer?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 30, 2015 at 5:46:31 am

camera

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
reads fine in camera.
on Aug 30, 2015 at 7:11:12 pm

there was a recent update for FCP X that involved P2 footage could that have broken something? In any case, can I copy the footage using the camera as a card reader?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
played back in camera appears as one clip
on Aug 30, 2015 at 10:20:52 pm

in FCP seen as many 5 min clips. FC issue?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: played back in camera appears as one clip
on Aug 31, 2015 at 12:22:00 pm

My guess is that these are spanned clips and you are seeing the chunks of one longer spanned clip. P2 formatting is Fat32 which limits any single file to 4GB. For some reason you are seeing individual pieces rather than the complete spanned version as a single, long file. Is this the first time you've imported P2 media into FCP X? How are you accessing the file structure of the cards?

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:54:55 pm

I've been importing P2 footage for two years now without an issue including 64gig single clips. But this is the first time I tried using two cards in one cam. So I'm guessing this is the issue. I'm importing into FCP X.

The latest update to FCP X mentioned P2 support and I'm wondering if they broke something. But I only have a single card reader so how would is see a clip that spans both cards. My mac won't recognize the camera when connected by a mini usb to usb port on the mac thought the manual mentioned you can import footage this way.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:26:13 pm

[Craig Alan] "But this is the first time I tried using two cards in one cam. So I'm guessing this is the issue."

I don't know that camera in detail, but could it be that the spanning checkerboarded between cards? Is there any sort of menu setting that would enable that? I presume that camera would fill up one card and then continue to the next, so normally only one clip might bridge the change between cards. If it is in fact split between cards, you'll need to load both at the same time. However, normally the segments should simply match back-to-back with each other based on TC. Meaning, you should be able to repair the problem in a functional manner within FCPX.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:06:06 pm

Thanks

I'm going to try copying both cards to folders and then import together and see if that works.

I'll call panasonic and ask if there is any settings that might effect the behavior.

Yes lining them up on the timeline might do the trick but I have concerns. if it works I guess I can just make them compound clips so that it becomes one long clip again.

I can also try to connect the camera with the two cards using a usb cable but I think I need a pana utility to read it. The mac does not see the cam.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 31, 2015 at 3:52:09 pm

If the cameras were synced with ref and timecode, both cams should stay in sync. Looking at the timecode, you can simply drag contiguous clips to the timeline and they should play across the edit without a problem. How did you import the data? Leave in place or Copy to library?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:58:35 pm

Can I sync timecode just using two cameras? I was told early on I need additional gear for that. If so is there a guide on how to do it?

Yeah I could just line up the clips on the timeline but was hoping to resolve this.

I copy the media to a media folder so that I have a copy of the media in one folder the original media in another and the library stays small. If then the library gets corrupted I have a FC back up and copies of the original media and render folders all independent. For important projects I'll have an additional copy of all this on a different raid.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 31, 2015 at 8:26:48 pm

Best way to ensure sync between 2 or more cameras is to send reference (black or tri-level) to all the cameras Ref (or Gen) inputs. Then, send timecode to the cams timecode inputs. This will hold sync all day and have synced timecode. With just 2 cams you can use composite video out from cam 1 to Ref in Cam2, and timecode out cam 1 to timecode in cam 2. For short scenes you can use a slate at the start of the scene, and/or use FCPX multicam or Plural Eyes to match the audio tracks from both cams. That will hold for short scenes and then start to drift. If your cam doesn't have ref in/out or timecode in/out, you're stuck with syncing with audio. Feed the same audio to both cams to get best results. When the tracks start to drift, blade the tracks and re-sync.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:18:33 am

[John Fishback] "send reference (black or tri-level) to all the cameras Ref (or Gen) inputs."

The hpx 250 does have gen lock and tc inputs.

Will this work as well as external devices that go out to 2 or more camera?

Do I just use SDI cables between the two cams?

From the manual

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:45:01 pm

if you can't cable in both genlock and TC , TC alone will work but the cameras won't be iin perfect sync as the vertical interval will likely be off. Does this matter ? not so much. There are Lockit boxes which hold very precise time code and can be used to pass TC to the camera. There is also Tentacle sync boxes which are far less expensive than Locki boxes, smaller and generally more efficient and perform the same function of acting as an external time code clock for cameras . I've used those a few times recently with success.

None of this really addresses why FCPX is not seeing your P2 clips as one long spanned clip. For some reason the app doesn't see the metadata which tells the NLE "this is all one clip".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]