FORUMS: list search recent posts

Antici......

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Antici......
on Aug 27, 2015 at 1:51:10 pm

My situation:

6 and a quarter hours of blah blah blah lecture on the timeline, imported using the "use proxy" settings. Took overnight to render everything out, and now I wanna share to a master file. Share function is STILL grayed out. What gives?

....pation.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Antici......
on Aug 27, 2015 at 2:41:03 pm

...and you did the normal pref trash, etc?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 27, 2015 at 3:39:25 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Aug 27, 2015 at 3:41:53 pm

Yes, and all that trashing prefs did for me was disconnect some of my media. Got it back, using Jeremy's method, I can play the timeline, but because I was working in AVC100, my live output looks jerky, so dubbing off to a BluRay or HD tape isn't much help. I need to force FCPX to render this timeline out to H.264 somehow. The share function remains grayed out, no matter how small a section of this thing I try to export. I've got hard drive space for the export, so that's not it.

I'm thinking I'm hosed, and have to start a new library, re-do the whole thing by re-importing the MXF files and letting FCP convert them to prores first. That's two day's edit work, lost and re-built.

$%#^$%@^$

looking for any light in this tunnel, please.....

I got another five hours of these lectures to cut after solving THIS problem.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:27:14 pm

If you create a new library and throw a couple of clips in there, do you get the share option? Which is to say, is it the library of your FCPX install that's messed up...

If it's just the library, what happens when you copy the project from one library to another?

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 27, 2015 at 6:52:44 pm

I never use proxy, but couldn't you go find the proxies, and just import them to a new library as regular media and output that?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 27, 2015 at 7:33:53 pm

I've closed everything, created a brand new library, imported the MXF files from *another* day's recording session, using the same camera codec settings, but this time instead of using proxies, I went ahead and told it to create optimized media. This one's four hours long so far, but "SHARE" works with all options available so far.

The only difference I can tell has been using proxies versus optimized media, with this particular codec.

I'm wondering, if IO go back to the problematic 6-hour timeline, re-import mxf from folders but this time let it optimize, will there be a way to have FCPX swap the identical files and conform to the edits I already did... or will I be re-cutting that six hours again from scratch?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:21:17 am

Wow, I've never actually tried making ONLY proxy files.

That's interesting. To me, getting files from a non-FCP X native format into ProRes is always step one for me. Then I'll have X transcode those into Proxy.

For share, X will look to see if your timeline is Optimized or Proxy - and draw on the closest source to a point.

If I "think" that if youyou have elements on your storyline like graphics or photos that have higher resolution than your Proxies, I wonder if X has to maybe go back and do Originals to Optimized to Proxy encoding to export the best results?

If ALL X has is a non-optimized file - and a Proxy file - but no Optimized version in between - it might work. but I wonder if it would be able to share as efficiently if you ask it to export a file size or aspect ratio that it doesn't have a matching source for?

Just speculation. As I said, I don't ever use a workflow that doesn't have an Optimized stage in it.

YMMV

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:16:48 am

Bill: "I don't ever use a workflow that doesn't have an Optimized stage in it. "

This is going to be my personal law going forward. Using proxy files in fcpx seems to be like crossing the streams...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:34:48 am

Mark, if you do the optimize transcode first (or are working with ProRes from the start) - making Proxys is a great option. You get the faster performance in Proxy mode and the ability to work with lots of streams for compositing - and when it's time to output High Rez masters, you just switch back to having X instantly point to the Optimized media for mastering. It's a great system. I've just never heard of anyone skipping the middle step and doing Proxies without generating optimized files first. For all I know it works - but I've never tried it in almost 5 years with X.

Seems to me that without Optimized in the mix, sharing anything larger than Phone size files might tame a LOT of extra time as the software has to both decode or even decode and build from a compressed or otherwise encoded frame stream (depending on the shooting format) the original media AND transcode to the output resolution all at once.

Which would be a pretty big processing lift.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:47:57 pm

Wondering what system you're on Bill. Optimized has never increased performance much for me. Just eats up space. Proxies would make sense for dealing with 4k, but in my tests with mxf, h264, avchd, I get minimal performance boost if any from optimizing. But I'm using an iMac. Seems that MacPro users seem to have more difficulty with h264 based formats because they don't have the accelerated h264 encode/decode. As for h264 exports in HD, a 3 min timeline is often a matter of seconds to export. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the total of the timeline depending on complexity. But certainly much faster than actually rendering the timeline. And how do you almost have 5 years of experience with X? It was released 4 years and 2 months ago.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:37:24 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:37:57 pm

Brand new Retina MacBook Pro - 2.8 GHz Core i7 - 16GB 1500 MHz DDR3- AMD Radeon R9M370X 2048 MB. And it positively screams running X.

Shoot predominantly MXF (Canon C-100,300) and h264 via Canon DSLR). Sometimes have to deal with RED or Alexa files, but honestly, not often since 90% of my corporate work ends up on either IMAG or the web rather than broadcast.)

I've aways optimized as a matter of "best practice" since I very often edit on the road - and before the upgraded laptop, that made my editing easier. Still haven't broken from that practice because it's ingrained. Now that the laptop is suddenly so freaking fast, I may investigate working more with native original media.

But I honestly did NOT expect this type of performance when I ordered my new laptop.

And I'm still coming to (happy) grips with it. That's all.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:54:29 pm

[Bret Williams] " And how do you almost have 5 years of experience with X? It was released 4 years and 2 months ago.
"

Almost 10pm after a long day switching between working outside during a monsoon rainstorm and inside on X. I mentally guesstimated and got it wrong, Sorry.

Either that or everyone lets me count the first months after the X launch here as personal "time and a half" since I spent so ridiculously much personal energy trying to convince the entrenched Legacy forces on this forum at X was not a stupid toy?

; )

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Aug 27, 2015 at 7:47:11 pm

try this:
1. open the problematic library
2. create a new library
3. drag the desired project from the problematic library to an event in the new library
4. can the project in the new library be exported?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 27, 2015 at 8:17:59 pm

Will try it, but may run out of time this week to post results. I have some housekeeping tasks yet to do today before quittin' time, and I've got Friday off. I'll let you guys know Monday.

Thanks for the support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]