FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-Linking Medis to HDV originals.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Re-Linking Medis to HDV originals.
on Aug 26, 2015 at 4:31:13 pm

Hi there, I think I've created a big problem for myself and I was wondering if you could help. I started a documentary in FCP7 years ago now. I've since bought in the project to FCPX and I'm almost finished. When I originally captured the media it was from tape in HDV format. Due to the compressed nature of HDV I was advised to capture my (typically 1 hour) tapes in 10 minute chunks in SD so as to help my (at the time) aging laptop cope with the footage better. The whole edit has been done using these original SD captures.

Now I want to relink all the 250 or so clips in my project with the HD source material which is 1440x1080. I already captured all the HDV material ages ago as ProRes 422 but it split it into many clips (each time i pressed record) so the numbers don't match up. The tape number do match (EG I'm looking to replace PW-01-4 with PW-01-16) but I have to manually find each clip from several options that I have to watch to get the right bit. There must be a quicker way of doing this? Any ideas

A few questions. I did a test and FCP replace the SD media with the HDV material (using the timecode) in the selected clip and in a few other clips in same sequence. The original SD media then gets put in the Bin This made me a bit nervous as my original footage that I've been editing with all these years was in the bin but it seems to have worked with the clips now looking to new HDV media. I'll keep going and report back if I find anything unusual (I already had one clip that wouldn't reconnect) but its kind of nerve racking!

I think I'm going to have to do each one individually

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
Re: Re-Linking Medis to HDV originals.
on Aug 28, 2015 at 6:29:29 pm

Hey James...

It might be kind of a long way around, but what would happen if you exported the edit(s) (projects) to make them self-contained, reimport them, imported all the HD clips, and then select as needed to make one or more big-assed multicam clip(s) using the audio to sync them?

Haven't tried it, but in theory, you should be able to toggle the HD files to make them the active audio/video. Not sure, but you might give a smaller try. You may even be able to extend/trim/replace if if works.

All the best,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]