FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeing time of clip in browser before adding to timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Seeing time of clip in browser before adding to timeline?
on Aug 19, 2015 at 11:47:46 pm

Hi,

In FCP X, after I put a transition down on the timeline, is there a way to make it "End On Cut or Start On Cut", like we could do in FCP 7?

Is there a way, when you put an In Point and Out Point on a clip in the Browser, before adding it to the timeline, you can actually see the icons for it? Also, is it possible to see the exact time of a clip between In and Out points, in the browser before putting down on the timeline?

This was standard in FCP 7

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Seeing time of clip in browser before adding to timeline?
on Aug 20, 2015 at 12:51:29 am

[Adam Berch] "In FCP X, after I put a transition down on the timeline, is there a way to make it "End On Cut or Start On Cut", like we could do in FCP 7?
"

Nope.

[Adam Berch] "Is there a way, when you put an In Point and Out Point on a clip in the Browser, before adding it to the timeline, you can actually see the icons for it?"

Icons for it? You mean the In/Out points? That's now a range. I marks the In, O marks the Out.

[Adam Berch] "Also, is it possible to see the exact time of a clip between In and Out points, in the browser before putting down on the timeline? "

Mark your range (In/Out) and hit Cmd+D to see the duration you've selected. There's no way to see both the timecode and your In/Our duration. It's infuriating.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2015 at 1:06:18 am

Timecode is listed in the middle tc window. It is dynamic and changes display depending on your actions.

On the very bottom of the browser, there's a value for amount of time "selected".

So, if scrubbing a clip in the browser, you'll get tc in the middle bubble, and the duration of the range in the bottom of the viewer.

If you have multiple clips or ranges selected, it will report the total number selected. It's very handy. (There's a similar tool in the bottom of the Project window as well).

You can also turn on clip info in the browser which will give a little popup display of the time code (and other info) while scrubbing.

I'm not in front of a machine, or else I'd provide some screen grabs.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Aug 20, 2015 at 1:10:37 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "On the very bottom of the browser, there's a value for amount of time "selected". "

Holy cow - I never noticed that little bit of text down there. Thanks Jeremy - it even gives you a total running time of your project, it seems.

While I'm glad it's there, I have to say - what a terrible place to put it. And dark gray text on a gray background? There's tons of negative space around the current timecode window at the top of the project window - it would be nice if you could just add more timecode windows there to show In/Out, elapsed, remaining, 30i Drop in a 24p sequence etc...

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2015 at 1:57:40 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Aug 20, 2015 at 3:36:31 pm

There's no doubt that tc display needs some work in fcpx.

But the little displays help me out a lot, especially when you need to cut to time as you can select a handful of clips to measure their time as well as see the overall sequence time, all without setting an in and out. :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 20, 2015 at 6:19:53 pm

Open up X on a smaller laptop and you'll find there is almost no space above the project window. The edit controls are bumped against the TC window and the TC window bumps against the effects window buttons.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2015 at 6:30:22 pm

Here's the screen grab in case someone else needs it.

The default command for the "skimmer info" is control-y.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 20, 2015 at 10:44:10 am

As Jeremy noted, this is all possible (and actually quite easy) in X if I'm understanding your questions correctly.

In an NLE, time is metadata - and X is nothing if not metadata rich.

As always, until you can resist the temptation to see everything you do in X in terms of how you USED to do those actions in Legacy (or any other software) X will be more struggle to learn and operate than it needs to be.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]