FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error Code -36 when copying FCPX libraries

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Decker
Error Code -36 when copying FCPX libraries
on Aug 14, 2015 at 4:56:46 pm

Hello,

I have been having a fairly regular issue trying to backup daily and final library files from video projects. I am backing up and archiving libraries (with media consolidated) from my main external LaCie thunderbolt drive to external usb 3 drives. I also have an OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock in the chain. The projects all play through and I have "shared" versions of the project for different outputs (Vimeo, Youtube, movie files etc) successfully. Then, trying to copy the library to an external drive for backup and archiving often results in an (Error code -36) message "because some of the data in "project" can't be read or written".

I was able to back these up using ShotputPro5 (a file copy utility application) - but seems I should not have to purchase products to do this within the OS.

FCPX 10.2.1
OSX 10.10.4
MBP 2.2 GHz (Early 2011)
8 GG ram
LaCie thunderbolt media drive (reformatted prior to last project backup issue)
Seagate external usb drives for backup and archive
OWC Thunderbolt 2 drive dock

New library to receive Error Code -36 - 50 Gb in size

Ugh!

Thanks,

Dave Decker

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Error Code -36 when copying FCPX libraries
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:10:03 pm

Are all the drives formatted as HFS+?

Return to posts index

David Decker
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:29:29 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, all drives are Mac OS extended (HFS+). I back up projects to two separate external usb 3 drives - a primary backup and a secondary backup (in case one drive fails). Same error -36 happening. Primary media drive also freshly formatted for latest project with same result.

Just purchased ShotPutPro5 and am currently running same backup which failed within MacOS.

Media files seem fine - I can play them within the folder, and also within the project. Final project timelines export (share) just fine. Issue is with copying. Wondering if it's a hardware issue, or if it's something in the FCPX files.

Been doing some research and have not found others posting about this issue....

Dave

David Decker

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:31:39 pm

Be sure to ignore all ownership of files on the external drives.

It would be good to quit everything, boot in to Recovery Mode and repair disk permissions on your boot drive.

I think this might be a permissions error.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Decker
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:36:03 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

I will try this. I did replace my internal drive with an SSD drive about 6 months ago. I do regularly repair permissions - but not in Recovery mode.

Thanks - I will report back.

Dave

David Decker

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 14, 2015 at 7:58:26 pm

On my new MacBook Pro's SSD I've been having mild permissions issues with file copying as well. I sometimes have to copy to a connected hard drive cuz the internal SSD won't let a file land. Let us know if you find out anything. I was going to try and tackle the whole permissions thing after this project gets to a resting state.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Decker
on Aug 14, 2015 at 8:36:30 pm

OK, restarted in recovery mode and repaired permissions on SSD boot drive.

Restarted computer, and tried to copy same FCPX library file from same LaCie thunderbolt drive to external usb 3 backup drive, and still got the Error Code -36.

FWIW, prior to repairing the permissions as stated above, I tried copying the same FCPX library file to and from the same drives using ShotPutPro5 (which I just purchased) - and it worked fine. Weird! ShotPutPro is promoted as a camera card transfer app to copy and verify files to multiple drives at once - but also does whole hard drives, and single FCPX library files too! Also will text you when process is done.

Wish I could do this in MacOS though.....

So far, I am thinking it is not a hardware issue.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 14, 2015 at 8:41:02 pm

[David Decker] "I will try this. I did replace my internal drive with an SSD drive about 6 months ago."

Was it a clean install or restored from a backup?

Return to posts index

David Decker
on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:08:05 am

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, it was a clean install.

David Decker

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:32:58 am

I find the thing that trips up transfers like this the most, is errant alias files in the library.

If you dive in to the library package and find any alias files and delete them, it may help.

Return to posts index

David Decker
on Aug 15, 2015 at 1:41:47 am

I am rotating through backup drives as they fill up - though my media drive has been a constant (which I just reformatted) since the beginning of the year. I may look into some cables.

I do have a OWC Thunderbolt 2 Hub which is an awesome piece of hardware - but could be contributing to the issue if there is a bad connection as it is adding another pathway to go through.

I have talked with OWC tech support in the past regarding this possibility, but we did not make any progress. I may check to see if there is a Thunderbolt 2 Hub forum on the Cow.

Thanks!

David Decker

Return to posts index

David Decker
on Aug 15, 2015 at 1:36:02 am

Thanks, I will try that too. It baffles me though that a file copy utility app (like ShotPutPro5) can make the copy, to multiple drives with verification, and the same process hiccups in the MacOS....

FWIW, there are some aliases in this particular project - and I also have other very clean library files with straight footage, one event and one project with chapter marks which is shot and edited the next day, which choke on backup too. ????

David Decker

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 15, 2015 at 1:52:39 am

Shotput uses a different process for copying than Finder.

I use Shotput for file transfers too, not just card backup.

Still, there's a file in your library that is tripping up the Finder.

Aliases are the most notorious and easy to spot and therefore replace.

Another more manual way to do this is to consolidate the media out of the library on to an external disk. Pay attention to the destination disk. When a file dies, note the file right before it, and that should help you try to narrow it down.

It might also be a corrupt render file which are easy to trash.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]