FORUMS: list search recent posts

80% rule

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
80% rule
on Aug 14, 2015 at 3:27:28 am

It has been my understanding that a hard drive should not be kept more than 80% full - that it will slow down and be more open to corruption.

Does this apply to a Pegasus Raid (or any raid for that matter)? I have a 4-drive 8TB enclosures and I'm working on a series of short films and noticed that I have passed the 6.4 TB mark.

I could lighten the load by transferring one of the short films onto another drive.

I have a back up of this raid as well and have started ingesting on a second pair of these raids. But I recently added some footage to a couple of these films and noticed I exceeded my usual full target.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 80% rule
on Aug 14, 2015 at 3:39:44 am

Never a bad idea to avoid full drives. That said, 80% is fairly conservative on that large a drive.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 14, 2015 at 12:55:46 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Never a bad idea to avoid full drives. That said, 80% is fairly conservative on that large a drive."

Even on a larger volume keeping 15%-20% open allows for faster Renders and transfer of data since that space allows sufficient room for caching of the temporary data queue that is required when compressing or rendering content.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:51:09 am

Thanks. I went on the side of conservative and copied one of the short films to the new pair or raids. Because I'm putting it on a different drive all the media needed to be relinked. I remember being able to just tell FC to relink media and could easily locate all the media files. But now it seems I had to relink one at a time? Is there a quick wholesale way of doing this?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 16, 2015 at 5:15:05 pm

Just point it to the drive or folder and it'll find it all.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 17, 2015 at 3:56:25 am

Always did it that way but it kept relinking one clip at a time and I could not figure how to get it to do them all at once.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 19, 2015 at 7:33:20 pm

I've noticed that this will happen if you've got a file selected in the relink dialog list. A quick 'cmd+A' will select everything in the list and -should- batch the lot.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 19, 2015 at 8:36:37 pm

Thanks. I'm sure it was end user error. next time I need to relink I'll keep that in mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]