FORUMS: list search recent posts

Translating and subtitles

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ray verhoef
Translating and subtitles
on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:58:53 pm

Hi everybody,

Did some online research but still kinda lost. I shot a documentary in China but before i can start editing in FCP X I need the material to be translated. Whats the best way to approach this? Should i start by having the material translated and transcribed? If yes, what would be the best way to do it? I have a friend in the US who speaks Chinese and is willing to help out. Which software would be the easiest or best to use?

How should he transcribe it so Its easy for me to use to make subtitles?

Also whats the best way to make or import subtitles into FCP X. I don't want burnt in subtitles because I would like to change or edit them later.

I hope anybody can shed a light on these issues. All the info is very welcome. Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Translating and subtitles
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:06:50 pm

I'd consider hiring an assistant who speaks the language as another option. Otherwise- yeah you need at first a loose timecoded translation/transcript of all the footage you think you might use in your edit. Google away for places that handle this.

Then once you have a completed edit, you'll do another more careful translation of the final edit for subtitles of which there are a number of third party plugins that can take timecoded subtitle transcripts and turn them into FCPX titles.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

ray verhoef
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:12:25 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I can't afford to hire an assistant. So Im thinking on sending the files to my friend in the US so he can translate and transcribe them (about 6 hours of material). Ive seen seen software called Inscribe which says it can also export the transcripts for subtitling use. Any info on that?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 12, 2015 at 5:09:58 am

Nope- but then again that's not really FCPX specific...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 13, 2015 at 2:21:09 pm

There are a couple of subtitle programs in the App Store. Checkout SRT Edit Pro and Subtitle Writer. The first lets you spot the subtitles and make the SRT file and the second embeds the SRT in the video. Another is a part of FX Factory called Subtitles by SUGARfx. I've played with SRT Edit Pro and Subtitle Writer, but not Subtitles. They all have their pros & cons. There are other more expensive options.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 13, 2015 at 6:06:44 pm

Expensive is very relative.
Concidering it's 6 hours of material, if it's all spoken text that might end up to being a week of work. (Depending on quality.)

There is a huge difference between transcription and subtittling.
Normally a transcriber inserts TC in a text file every now and then.

A subtitle needs an in and outpoint.

My subtitle tool is used by a national broadcaster who also uses it for this type of work. It's not cheap, but it does the job, and it does it fast. It does need a bit of learning, but that will pay off very soon.
Download Subbits from my site, the demo is free and fully functional (althoug it only lets you save 8 titles.)

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]