FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conforming from FCP X to DaVinci and issues that came up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Schoales
Conforming from FCP X to DaVinci and issues that came up
on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:39:00 pm

Alright experts, question for you. Just finished cutting a commercial and sent it to the colourists for conform. Ran into some issues though...

We shot on RED, and I used SyncNLink X to sync our audio and video together. This created synchronized clips which is what I cut into the spot, and it went great!

Problem is when they brought everything into DaVinci it couldn't link the synchronized clips to the R3D files. We tested and if I broke everything apart (manually since theres apparently no way to just do that) and dropped the original R3D files (and not the sync clips) into the timeline and everything came in beautifully.

So my question is has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a way to get DaVinci to read things properly? Should I have made them multicam clips not synced clips? Does any of this make sense?

I imagine the Focus guys would have sorted this out, and I thought I followed the workflow outlined in Mike's book, but I must have missed something.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Conforming from FCP X to DaVinci and issues that came up
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:08:01 pm

Yep- synced clips are not as well supported as multicam. But there are many steps along the way for this workflow to work out properly so there are a number of spots it can go wrong. I'd start with a test to multicam and see what happens.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Adam Schoales
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:13:54 pm

I'll have to try that. I maybe should have used Multiclips instead of "synchronized" clips.

I thought it was all going so smoothly. I knew it all was too good to be true!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:28:57 pm

I don't believe Sync-N-Link X actually creates clips that FCP X identifies as Synchronized Clips. I've run into a number of FCPX-Resolve roundtrip issues. If you import the FCPXML into Resolve and allow it to automatically import the files into the Media Pool, most of the time there will be a lot of problems. My routine is to always import all the RED source files into the Media Pool first. Then import the FCPXML file making sure to disable the automatic import setting. Then it should relink fine. Do not bring sync source audio into Resolve, as it will not handle the audio correctly.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mike Matzdorff
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:17:22 pm

Hi Adam,
Focus was an Alexa show and didn't use Resolve. Darren Roark & Sam Mestman may have more good info on this. I know multicam/nested are not resolve 11 friendly, not sure about 12.

I tweeted you back.

Mike

Return to posts index

Adam Schoales
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:50:36 pm

I saw that Mike. Thanks so much!

It also looks like it's the synchronized clips that are causing the problems, so that's good to know. I'll have to look into a solution for the future.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 11, 2015 at 9:01:27 pm
Last Edited By Darren Roark on Aug 11, 2015 at 9:26:31 pm

The DCP on a Red feature I post supervised is being made today. I could write a small book of pitfalls to avoid but I'd mostly be plagiarizing Michael Matzdorff's.

Couple things,

- Oliver is right, SnL makes single cam files as compound clips, ideally they should be broken apart before going into Resolve. They do hold sync.

- When I started the feature in January the version of SnL was having a problem retaining reel and take info. That was fixed but it still caused issues with multicam clips at the end linking in Resolve.

Now for the FIX.

Resolve doesn't like anything sent to it to not be the root instance of footage. It seems to strip the reel and file name info. When you consolidate your library, make sure you make your XMLs from a project that is referencing that library only. This is not the fastest way to do this, but it takes the guesswork out.

- Make a transfer library of your project.

- Make a consolidated media library.

- Eject any drives except for the one that holds the media you will be handing off to the finishing place. (VERY important.)

- Drag the consolidated media folder from your shuttle drive into the library.

- In the event with your project, select 'file' then copy event to Library 'consolidated media library'. This will refresh all your clips AND multicam clips to reference the new volume.

- Export your XML to Resolve & enjoy.

*Edit

I also suggest having the reference QT overlaid at 50% opacity with the audio rendered out. That way you can do as Jeremy said and detach and delete the audio from your duplicated project.

Also, if you have exported the XML from FCPX from a project referencing the shuttle drive you are sending, you can either leave "Import automatically into media pool" on or off. It won't matter. I seem to get better results in that case with leaving it on.

Return to posts index

Adam Schoales
on Aug 11, 2015 at 11:22:51 pm

Thanks Darren, this is very helpful for the future.

What I had done for this one was very similar: created a new library on an external shuttle. Copied the project into that new library, and consolidated (using externally managed media since I wasn't sure that Resolve would like the FCP X library structure) so all the new media was in a folder called "media". Then I exported the XML (using vr. 1.4 since I wasn't sure if Resolve would read 1.5), and passed that along. So the step I must have skipped was

"In the event with your project, select 'file' then copy event to Library 'consolidated media library'. This will refresh all your clips AND multicam clips to reference the new volume."

though I did check with my original drive off and things were definitely linked to the consolodated media folder.

Like I said, it seems like the team at the post house doing the colour had issues with only the clips that were housed as "synchronized clips". So I figured this is where the problem lay.

Another person I spoke to suggested "breaking apart clips" (command+shift+g), which as Jeremy mentions strips sizing and such, so it's perhaps not a perfect solution (it also doesn't work on anything that was retimed, and there was lots of retiming in this).

I've now downloaded Resolve and installed it on my machine so I can test things out in the future. I'd love to have this sorted out for future cuts. Of course as soon as something goes wrong everyone points the finger at Final Cut Pro X and I'm trying to say "No, no! It's not the program's fault, it's mine! Blame me!" haha.

Appreciate your insight.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2015 at 11:50:23 pm

I do think a lot of blame falls on fcpxml.

I am finding more and more that fcpxml is more than capable, but I do think that programmers are still figuring out the language.

I find that Resolve will see sync-n-linked video, but not audio, hence the "detach audio" and flatten.

If you can't fatten the audio for Resolve, you then have to break apart the audio (yes break apart) which will lose filters and leave you with both camera audio as well as double system. It's a mess on long programs.

Resolve sees the linked clips as compound clips and seems to have trouble. My guess is that the proper info is in the FCPXML, but Resolve isn't quite parsing it correctly. Here's to R12.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 12, 2015 at 12:16:13 am

There is another possible workaround. This worked for me on a feature I've been finishing. It started under 10.0.x so we went through a number of issues.

Everything was edited with Sync-N-Link X synchronized clips. These were transcoded ProRes Proxy (from RED) files and double-system sound. When I prepped for Resolve, I stripped off all audio and exported an FCPXML. This was imported back into FCP X and there I relinked to the RED camera files.

From this "clean" FCP X timeline, I exported a new video-only FCPXML, which properly linked to the RED files in Resolve 11.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2015 at 8:07:42 pm

[Adam Schoales] "So my question is has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a way to get DaVinci to read things properly? Should I have made them multicam clips not synced clips? Does any of this make sense?"

Not sure if the Colorists need all of the audio, but the easiest way to do this is to make a dupe version of the Project. Select all the clips, and choose Clip > "Detach Audio" (control-shift-s) which is different than breaking apart. Detaching Audio keeps any transform settings which may or may not be important. It also keeps filters, but Davinci won't care about those. Detach audio is helpful when you have effected the video as choosing "Break Apart" clip items gets rid of all transform and filters.

Usually, I then export an aiff of the entire timeline audio, reimport it, and place it in the timeline. I then delete all the other audio and export the fcpxml.

This leaves the video files and one aiff file for the colorists in the XML.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]