FORUMS: list search recent posts

MASS CONFUSION! FCPX project clips black/library issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lola Mala
MASS CONFUSION! FCPX project clips black/library issues
on Aug 11, 2015 at 1:19:01 am

Ok, hopefully I explain this clearly and can get this issue resolved to some degree!
First, I'm no real FCPX pro. Primarily I'm a musician, so I fumble around and do my best at it.

I had a Macbook Pro start to act up on me last year, so in a pre-emptive strike I got everything off there before the hard drive died on me.
I use FCPX on my Macbook (which I've since replaced) and my iMac.
I then started to use my external drive as FCPX's library, and here's where it's got messy.
I have a project that I HAVE to finish. After that I'll wipe both computers and start over, reinstall everything.

So - my clips are black. Cannot find them. I don't even understand FCP's file system, otherwise I'd drag/drop the original videos into FCP one by one if i could (I can't even SEE the original files though I know they're there as there's like 200gb of files in those folders somewhere)

Just ... help. I need to find these files at the very least.
I'm on 10.0.4 ..

screenshot2015-08-10at16.22.59.png

screenshot2015-08-10at17.56.10.png

screenshot2015-08-10at23.59.30.png

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: MASS CONFUSION! FCPX project clips black/library issues
on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:07:33 am

You can find your files in the FCPX Project file... go to it in the Finder, right click, and choose "Show package contents". Your media files should be in the Original Media folder.

It's been a VERY long time since FCPX 10.0.4 was considered useable and I can remember issues like yours coming up many times in the past. My best advice would be to get your project finished as best you can and then move as quickly as you can to the current version.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Lola Mala
on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:44:32 am

Hi -

Bit worried that I'm not coming up with what I should be still...

I've a trail that looks like this :

Volumes/2tb/FCPX LIBRARY/Final Cut Projects/MIZAR 003 1/Render Files/High Quality Media/0CACE196354C406B4750AD125805560C

This for example is a Unix Executable File (132.6 MB on disk) called Frame 7168 - 8191. (There are plenty more of these folders, all in different sizes up to 1gb in size!

Other than that, I only seem to get a load of alias files :

Volumes/2tb/FCPX LIBRARY/Final Cut Events/New Event 13-03-2013/Original Media/MIZAR 003 .mov

Alias file, 48 bytes in size.

I know there's something like 200gb of video in here somewhere according to the FCPX LIBRARY folder that I created, but I cannot see any of it!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 11, 2015 at 7:14:53 am

That's a link to just the internal rendered media. You can't get anything out of that.

The alias files in Original Media means that the original media wasn't stored in your library at all, just links to it. There may be files in the High Quality or Optimised Media folders? Where does the alias point to? That's where your media should be...

I'm being a bit vague because 10.0.4 is ancient and the current FCPX is a completely different beast as far as file management goes. My memory doesn't go back that far.

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 11, 2015 at 12:37:47 pm

Having aliases is normal. Just means you elected to leave the originals in place. Right click on the aliases and choose to show original. If there isn't an original file then there's your problem. The drive or card may no longer be online.

Return to posts index

Lola Mala
on Aug 11, 2015 at 2:42:20 pm

To clarify, it's 10.1.3, not 10.0.3.

Worried about these alias files now, as when I right clicked on one it's stating original can't be found. As I think back, before my MBP crashed on me, I dragged over everything that I could onto an external drive. But I do recall there being problems accessing some of that information from another computer - permissions issues.
I feel like a lot of this material is there, but it's now not letting me access it from the newer computer due to restrictions.

What is the usual/correct file path or my imported original movie files in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:38:31 pm

It sounds to me like you are missing your original media.

As mentioned, the big files are render files.

Do you have a backup of your media?

Return to posts index

Lola Mala
on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:41:30 pm

This is what I'm trying to find... I never delete originals, but they're not showing up. I'm really worried now that the backup I made from the dead MBP to the external drive has mean that either I don't have permissions to access some things on there, or everything wasn't copied over like I thought

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 11, 2015 at 9:33:50 pm

In my experience, permissions issues can stop you accessing files, but I've never had a case where they've stopped me seeing a file exists - so if the aliases aren't finding the original media files, I suspect that your original permissions issues prevented them being copied across to your external drive.

Return to posts index

Lola Mala
on Aug 12, 2015 at 12:42:14 am

That's my worry now - that only the aliases were copied over :/

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 15, 2015 at 1:46:39 am

If I were you, I would do a very detailed search on your drives to find copies of the original media. If you still have copies of the original media, I would update to the latest version of FC and start again by importing. If there are no copies of the actual media then there is nothing that will work.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]