FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Library file size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Connor Sweeney
FCPX Library file size
on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:18:00 pm

Hi

I hope someone can help! I'm on a Macbook Air 2015 256Gb using FCP X 10.1.3 with libraries being stored on a 1Tb external hard drive. The system works fine, and it isn't slow or boggy. The problem I have is with library sizes.

I have created a few libraries and imported raw files into them. Most shots taken from a GoPro or a Phantom 3 quadcopter. One library has 28.4 Gb of film clips imported into it, but the FCP library on the external drive is showing 268Gb! The original files imported are MP4 files and I have so far in that specific library created only one project that contains an opening black background, three clips, a title on the opening and a closing solid black.. all with cross fade transitionsThe project is 32 seconds long and contains two FCPX standard audio clips in .caf format.

Why would my libraries be 10x the size of the clips in them? I have tried deleting generated event files but that only saved about 5Gb.

Please help!

Connor

Return to posts index

Connor Sweeney
Re: FCPX Library file size
on Aug 9, 2015 at 10:02:52 pm

Quick update - just replicated everything on iMovie and the file size is less than 30Gb. Something seriously wrong here!

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 10:06:45 pm

If when you imported it converted your H.264 into Apple Pro Res then it can expand by a factor of 10. In finder go to a library, control click on it and choose show package contents. Then you can see if you have a big optimized file, or large render file etc.

Return to posts index

Connor Sweeney
on Aug 9, 2015 at 10:41:26 pm

Exactly right! So when I import, (I export using H.264) what setting do I need use? I'm using the following settings;

Files - leave in place
Transcoding - create optimised media
Keywords - From finder tags, from folders, find people, create smart collections after analysis
Video - analyse for balance colour
Audio - Analyse and fix audio problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 10:44:45 pm

Uncheck create optimized media, then it won't create the large proves files. If you need them to edit, you can create them and use them for editing, then delete them when you are done.

Return to posts index

Connor Sweeney
on Aug 9, 2015 at 10:57:38 pm

Thank you kind sir!

And damn you Larry Jordan for not pointing this out in your tutorials!!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 19, 2015 at 11:26:36 pm

"If you need them to edit, you can create them and use them for editing, then delete them when you are done."

you you give me the step by step on this

You finish editing. your timeline is optimized media (pro res).

Now what?

If you export port as a QT master file, what do you then erase and how, and do you still have your project in tack if you want to revisit your edits?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]