FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field Dominance for project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Nystrom
Field Dominance for project
on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:00:10 pm

FCPX 10.2.1
Hi there, I need to export a project (1080pHD) with several video clips (all 1080pHD) and several FCPX Title Slides... export out of FCPX 10.2.1 to DVCPRO 50 (720/480) for broadcast on a TV station. I've done so, but the result has extreme loss of clarity and high pixelation. I realize I downgrading to SD from HD. The TV station's lead has informed me that he believes that I need to make the opposite field dominant. FCPX 10.1 allowed this in one fell swoop at the project level. 10.2.1 doesn't seem to have this option, and instead will have to change each video file individually. I'm not too worried about that though. What about the Title Slides? They are not video and therefore do not even have a field dominance to change.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Field Dominance for project
on Aug 8, 2015 at 10:51:38 am

The question is if the media is 50/60p or just 25/30p? Or even i? Because if it's 25/30p, then setting it to "i" won't change anything to begin with. At least not as far as the video is concerned. TITLES are completely fps, resolution and p or i agnostic. They render in whatever type project they are contained in. If anything, they'll be the things that look the best by far.

I also doubt that "extreme loss of clarity and high pixelation" is anything unusual or has anything to do with the field order (that makes no sense). It's simply "DV"! It will look horrendous in comparison no matter what. And if your material isn't 50/60p (i.e. double the framerate you're editing in) or already interlaced, then you're just making it that much worse by outputting it interlaced (which is your only option of course with DV formats).

And you can easily BATCH change all the clips' field dominance in the info and settings tab btw. But again, I highly doubt that has anything to do with it. Unless of course you KNOW that a) the material is even interlaced to begin with and b) has the wrong dominance.

- RK

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Aug 8, 2015 at 4:04:02 pm

Thanks RK,
I've studied up on field dominance... SD television uses Interlaced while HD television and computers use Progressive. Also 720x480 uses Lower while 640x480 uses Upper. So for SD television broadcast I need to export out of FCPX using Compressor presets I tweak to Interlaced Lower. We will see what the TV station says. I'm actually delivering all combinations of these as well for them to compare on their SD broadcast system and inform me which looks best. It';; be Interlaced Lower :)
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 8, 2015 at 5:58:21 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 8, 2015 at 5:58:46 pm

[Todd Nystrom] "SD television uses Interlaced while HD television and computers use Progressive."

Wrong. BOTH can be interlaced. Only standard SD formats (as in PAL and NTSC) were and will always be interlaced.

[Todd Nystrom] "Also 720x480 uses Lower while 640x480 uses Upper."

Wrong again. There is no blanket rule. PAL will generally be lower (or EVEN) and NTSC generally upper (or ODD), but even then it can be different with the source material depending on the hardware that was used for capturing.

And again, it is only relevant if your original material was interlaced to begin with (which you still haven't said) AND/OR the original material is 50p or 60p. Then it's only relevant WHICH TV standard you're delivering to, which also not have said. Oh well.

- RK

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:05:31 pm

Original material is p not i (sorry forgot to mention). So who is the final authority on upper vs lower, progressive vs interlaced. Apple says it differently than do you in the following link:

https://documentation.apple.com/en/motion/usermanual/index.html#chapter=B%2...

Thanks RK, sorry to get you ruffled. For the record I agree with your initial assessment that HD to SD takes a hit and THAT is the issue, not the field Dominance.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Aug 8, 2015 at 11:34:03 pm

I believe these are correct. I haven't dealt with any SD footage in a while.

HD is upper field first

DV (PAL or NTSC) is lower field first

standard definition D1 PAL is upper field first

standard definition D1 NTSC is usually (but not always) lower field first

- See more at: http://www.provideocoalition.com/field_order#sthash.bnfqPZ3R.dpuf

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Todd Nystrom
on Aug 9, 2015 at 1:16:38 am

Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]