FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gradual increase or decrease

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sverker Hahn
Gradual increase or decrease
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:33:57 am

Hi, newbie with another problem ...

In one scene I have a sudden change in exposure somewhere in the middle of it.

I want to change the exposure gradually so that this change will go unnoticed.

I also want to change the audio levels gradually in clips.

In FCP 6 I had this function but I cannot find it in FCPX.

Thanks in advance

Sverker Hahn, Leksand, Sweden

Slower is better!

Sony EX1and EX3
Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1
Mac Mini
MacBook Pro 13"

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Gradual increase or decrease
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:40:19 am

[Sverker Hahn] "I want to change the exposure gradually so that this change will go unnoticed."

Blade, grade as needed, cross-fade both. There is no key framing of (the built-in) color-corrections (yet). Or find a keyframable 3rd plugin OR roll your own exposure filter in Motion.

[Sverker Hahn] "I also want to change the audio levels gradually in clips."

Rubber band (keyframe) the audio in the timeline, just as in 6/7?

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:05:37 pm

A free audio tool that many find helpful is called Levelator: it will clamp all your audio to a normalized range you choose, bringing up the lows and dropping the peaks, so you don't need to spend hours riding faders up and down in real time as people get on and off-mic at, for example, a roundtable discussion.

As to your video levels/brightness, there is a broadcast levels filter in FCPX that clamps the peaks to 100 IRE and limits crushing blacks below 0 IRE, but that approach lacks the nuance you seek. Until they have keyframeable video level control, use the blade tool to slice up the offending sections, make corrections using the color board's exposure pucks, and soften the transitions by adding dissolves of various length to the places where you bladed.

You could also download the free version of Resolve 12 and use the powerful color correction tools in that to fix levels, then re-import the results back into an FCPX project.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:10:37 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Levelator: it will clamp all your audio to a normalized range you choose"

Erm... isn't that what we call "a Compressor"? :D

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 6, 2015 at 9:45:58 pm

Levelator is a bit more involved than just a compressor in that it tries to intelligently boost and compress audio while not raising the noise floor. Like all automated tools, sometimes it works great, sometimes not so much.

I used it extensively when I was editing podcasts for The Conversations Network, and it was created for them to standardise audio levels from show to show. I still use it from time to time when I want to tidy up inconsistent audio levels in a final mix.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Aug 7, 2015 at 10:47:47 am

Thanks to all of you.

Surprising to have a new "PRO" application without this funktion, isn´t it?
Hoping that the funktion will be incorporated soon.

Sverker Hahn, Leksand, Sweden

Slower is better!

Sony EX1and EX3
Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1
Mac Mini
MacBook Pro 13"

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 7, 2015 at 1:51:00 pm

[Sverker Hahn] "Surprising to have a new "PRO" application without this funktion, isn´t it?"

Which function are we talking about? Because I don't see one that we weren't able to show you an in-app solution for.

But if you're referring to the lack of keyframing of the color board, then I'd have to point out that the keyframing of FCP 7's 3-way wasn't exactly "pro" or a substitution for a "real" color correction app either (hence the addition of Color). Far from it.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:09:17 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "a bit more involved than just a compressor in that it tries to intelligently boost and compress audio while not raising the noise floor"

Sorry, but if you know what you're doing, that won't happen with the built in tools either. And you actually know what is happening and have control over it. Not sure that I find a practically faceless (drag'n'trust) external app that was discontinued six years ago, meant for one specific (unrelated, audio only) purpose, doesn't even work on my machine and only accepts wav or aiff as input as any type of "solution" for what's needed. The steps that would be required to even use it in this context would be ridiculous. Especially for a mystery result.

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:28:23 am

No need to apologise. We all have tools we like - some new, some old, some just plain dodgy. In the case of The Levelator, feel free not to use if it doesn't appeal. Some of us have grown to appreciate its magic though. :-)

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:47:27 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "In the case of The Levelator, feel free not to use if it doesn't appeal. "

I have no idea if it appeals (at least in terms of results, certainly not in terms of workflow... unless maybe if I was an audio podcaster that is), since, as I mentioned, it doesn't even work to begin with. (Long winded "Library not loaded" error)

BTW, they note themselves that it contains a compressor, normalizer and limiter. So for video I think I'll actually just go with them, remove the middleman and use my own presets that are adjustable and applicable to more than just speech. ;)

"The Levelator® is optimized for speech. Avoid using The Levelator® on […] music." ... not very magical (or useful) imho. :P

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 7, 2015 at 1:18:17 pm

Each to their own as they say.

Sorry to hear it doesn't work any more, although I only really run it on my Snow Leopard machine these days so I hadn't noticed. And yes, it is for voice work only, but that's what the tool is for so I'm not sure why someone would use it on music. Having said that, if you understand how it works you can get away with using it on an entire mix.

Nobody's disputing what you can do with a compressor. I was a musician and sound engineer for almost 20 years, so I have no problems using any audio tool I choose. I just have a nostalgic soft spot for that particular software and there's a certain nuance I like about end result. In the same way I like iZotope's Ozone compressor for some things but prefer Wave's Renaissance for others.

Anyway, I don't think this is doing much to help the original poster so it might be time to get back on topic if there's anything else to add.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 7, 2015 at 1:45:54 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "And yes, it is for voice work only, but that's what the tool is for so I'm not sure why someone would use it on music."

Then it seems odd that nobody asked what type of audio he needed it for either before recommending it.

[Jeff Kirkland] "Having said that, if you understand how it works"

It works by mere dragging and dropping, with no options whatsoever? Unless those show up after the drag and I'm not seeing them because of the error. But I don't see any options described anywhere, so I'll assume there aren't in fact any. So I guess "getting away with" using it on a mix really means "if you're really lucky". ;)

[Jeff Kirkland] "Anyway, I don't think this is doing much to help the original poster"

Probably not, no. Since he never asked about normalizing or compressing or anything to begin with. :D He was asking about "[changing] the audio levels gradually", which Levitator doesn't assist in. If we weren't in fact talking about a video edit and the OP were looking for something like that, then I'm sure it'd be a great option to try.

- RK

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:46:35 pm

[Sverker Hahn] "In one scene I have a sudden change in exposure somewhere in the middle of it."

I have used Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free plugin and it works very well. In my case a DJI Phantom Vision 2+ drone had a lot of exposure fluctuation due to auto ISO. It fixed those almost totally. However it is mainly designed to fix multiple exposure fluctuations, not to smoothly bridge between two different exposures. There is an eval version, so you could try it:

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]