Keyflow Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin S. Kurz
Keyflow Pro
on Aug 6, 2015 at 8:34:41 am

This looks amazingly interesting: http://www.keyflowpro.com

Another demo:

I would LOVE to hear from anyone that dared take the plunge as to what works for you and what not. Since it does not yet have RED support or server client, it's a no-go for me at the moment, but would love to know how it is beyond that, so I know if I should keep an eye on it for the future (which I probably will either way :P). Cheers!

- RK

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
Re: Keyflow Pro
on Aug 6, 2015 at 12:34:29 pm

I saw Matt Geller's presentation in Chicago and was truly impressed. So, I bought it immediately when it became available.. As with all new software there were certain things I had a hard time understanding. But, it feels very easy to use, once you start to understand the structure of the software.

What really helped was when I opened up the demo videos in Youtube, slowed them down to ½ speed and turned off the audio. The clicking, explanations are just too fast. I went through them and followed through by watching Matt Geller's presentation and then did it again and again. Videos with spoken explanations would be great and greatly reduce the time to learn KeyFlow Pro.

To understood the difference between a Library and a Project is important.
My explanation is that the Library is more or less like a Library/Event-combo in FCP X. It's where you keep the media from a number of SD cards from a vacation trip, a filming of a concert or wedding. A word used instead of Library by Matt is Catalogue. A Project is a filter or a section of that Catalogue. You need a Project to import media, so that will be your first chapter in a Library (catalogue).

KeyFlow Pro seems to be really flexible. So you can create your own way of organizing your media..

Also, eager to hear from others

More to come as I get going

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 6, 2015 at 12:52:40 pm

Thanks Anders! Great infos. Do keep us updated.

So it sounds like Catalogue = Library and Project = Event? Seeing that they position KFP directly in the context of X, seems they might want to reconsider the nomenclature, if in fact makes sense as far as understanding the whole thing. Unless of course just Matt is using those terms.

Ironically, I think KFP actually upstages Apple themselves, showing various great options they should have included in FCP as well.

- RK

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:55:00 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I think KFP actually upstages Apple themselves, showing various great options they should have included in FCP as well."

True, but I'm not sure that this is problem.

When I saw how, let's say, "slenderly featured" some parts of FCPX were upon release, even as a general fan of X's approach, I had hoped that we'd see more of this. A nimble set of core features, and a robust architecture for adding on workflows and even codecs that don't need to be supported for mainstream development. In my imaginary world, this would free Apple to focus on those feature sets that everyone needs.

On one hand, Apple has obviously done an admirable job filling in many of those gaps.

On the other, Apple has a hideous track record for supporting third parties. The record is long and doesn't need recounting here. At least we're past the point where every update to iTunes breaks FCP, but my dream was predicated on Apple not regularly burning its development partners. Fat chance. LOL

I've been out of the game for a while of course, so I don't have much to say about KFP other than "looks cool." I'll note, though, that I've known Matt for many years, and I have the highest, highest respect for him. I can suggest at the very least that his customers will be in good hands.

And yes, looks cool. :-)

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on Aug 6, 2015 at 9:25:49 pm

Successfully created my first KFP Library with images and three videos without looking back at any of the tutorials. The library I created was then populated with five different Projects based on four different geographical locations (Chicago, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon) plus a Project with the videos.

Then I dragged the files I into a Library (Event) in FCP X and created a short timeline which I then shared back to KFP using the KFP Agent.

The only problem I encountered was H.265 which KFP doesn't support, so I contacted them about that. Had to convert the H.265 to ProRes

-:)

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]