FORUMS: list search recent posts

circuit math

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
circuit math
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:32:07 pm

Imac I7
pegasus R4: input 100-240 vac, 50-60hz, 5A.
mercury elite pro dual power supply: AC INPUT 100-240v-2.0A
DC OUTPUT 12V-6A
surge protector: max 15 amps.
house circuit breakers say 20.
what's the math?
how many raids can i daisy chain without overloading the surge protector of house circuit?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: circuit math
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:45:21 pm

Those draws are typically max- I'm guessing you'll be fine up to 10. Though at that point a NAS or SAN would be far more efficient both in terms of electricity and performance.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:57:23 pm

So I could easily plug in my iMac and up to 10 daisy chained raids? I need 4 pegasus raids and 2 mercury raids. into one outlet/surge protector. If its safe. of course the room circuit would include the lighting and every thing else in the room if its all on one circuit. the panel is not labeled.

but if its covered by the surge protector's 15 amp max that would make me feel safe about that aspect of it.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:12:16 pm

So I could easily plug in my iMac and up to 10 daisy chained raids? I need 4 pegasus raids and 2 mercury raids. into one outlet/surge protector. If its safe. of course the room circuit would include the lighting and every thing else in the room if its all on one circuit. the panel is not labeled.

but if its covered by the surge protector's 15 amp max that would make me feel safe about it

What had me confused was the

5A:

pegasus R4: input 100-240 vac, 50-60hz, 5A.

But i gather that is not power consumption? According to an article i just found the power consumption on an R4 is 52watts.
And a 20amp circuit can provide 2400 watts according to another article.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:37:36 pm

Watts = Amps * Volts

therefore

Amps = Watts/Volts

If the draw of one raid is 52W. Then 10 raids would be 520W.

If we assume a much lower voltage than what it typically available in US power of 100V

520W/100 Volts = 5.2A

A draw of 5.2 Amps is plenty for both the 15A surge and 20A circuit. And since the average voltage is somewhere near 115 or 117V, your amperage level will go down, which is good.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:11:02 pm

I suggest you call Pegasus and get the story from them. If 52 w is correct then 5a from the Pegasus spec makes no sense (could it be .5a?). You're covered by the circuit breaker which will trip if you exceed 20a. However, if the drives pull close to 5a at times, you'll be limited to 2 or 3 RAIDs plus your other gear. Find the real draw of the Pegasus.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2015 at 12:30:05 am

That was my concern when I posted.however the 52watts is from the chart they referred me to when I called them.

and the label from the raid

So I gather that the input is not the same as power consumption

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 7, 2015 at 1:18:17 am

Input is the max load and frequency of power the power supply can handle (so that power supply can handle an incoming power source of anywhere from 100-240v @5A max.

It has nothing to do with how much the raid will draw.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 7, 2015 at 4:01:45 am

I agree. The 52 W is probably an average power and relates to an average current. When they are first turned or or maybe actively seeking date, the surge current could be much higher. That is what will trip your breaker. So there may not be a simple answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]