Sliding video/photo panels

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iman Rastegari
Sliding video/photo panels
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:21:51 pm
Last Edited By Iman Rastegari on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:59:06 pm

Hello!

Long (very long)-time lurker, first-time poster! I'm excited to be an active participant in this community I've admired for so long.

My question is about animating layers of content in FCP X. I'm looking to create an effect similar to this (00:27-00:33 in case the link doesn't work):

I'm trying to replicate the effect where photos/video slide in over one another, and the existing content pushes over a bit to make room. I know how to do it by hand in either FCP or After Effects, manually key framing Transform/Crop properties, but I was wondering if you knew of any tools or techniques that would make it easier or faster to animate. Third-party plug-ins are okay too! The video I'm working on will have a lot of these sliding panels, so I'm trying to save myself some time over the course of the project.

Thanks for any input you have!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Sliding video/photo panels
on Aug 5, 2015 at 4:15:53 pm

This would be a fairly simple task in Motion, yes. Make a template with drop zones and publish it to FCP. Done. The only way I can think go that you're going to get exactly like that, since I'm at least not familiar with a 3rd party solution... but then there are a bazillion out there, too.

Take a gander at FX Factory for example. They have something similar...

- RK

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2015 at 4:38:35 pm

Adding to Robert's idea, another thing you can do is, when you've built one of these, it is simple enough to copy/paste attributes of one split to another with different footage, elsewhere in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Iman Rastegari
on Aug 5, 2015 at 4:55:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I think the most time-consuming part will be having the existing footage slide over to make room for the incoming panels, all while staying centered on the subject (like the NWU video did with the four videos at 00:33). That's what I was hoping a third-party (or other) solution might offer (which is different from the Tokyo Split plug-in, since that slides on media without displacing the underlying layer) -- essentially a way to define a center/anchor point, and have that remain visible while the layers slide around. My primary timeline is similar to the example video, with interview subjects shot against a white background; I'll want to make sure their faces remain visible as the B-Roll media slides in from the sides. Do you know of a better way to do this?

Another potential challenge I see is changing the animation if the client requests a change to the primary interview timeline later in the process (i.e. swapping out one soundbyte for another); if the animation was more automated I could potentially replace the target clip, but if I'm doing it by hand I'll need to redo the animation manually. Any ideas?

P.S. I am unfortunately currently unfamiliar with Motion; I do my animation work in After Effects. While I'd love to learn more about it at a later time (especially since it integrates so well with FCP X), I'm afraid there isn't time learn enough to create custom presets for this project. Thanks for the suggestion though, Robin!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:21:03 pm

Motion is IMO a much more intuitive fx system than AfterEffects, and if you were to build this in Motion ONE TIME, you could then re-use it over and over with new shots, using Drop Zones to make the final effect drag and drop easy. Seriously, if yopu understand keyframin and have some AE experience, setting this up in Motion should take you less than one hour, perhaps less than half an hour - and then, you're saving time every time you re-use the effect.

I bet, if you asked nicely in the COW Motion forum, someone there would even build the specific Motion project file FOR you. They are super-helpful people there.

Is there no pre-made set of Expressions or a plug-in you can download for free to do this in AE?

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:51:56 pm

That sort of thing is really easy to build in Motion and publish as effect or generator to FCPX. I build these all the time for our editors - reusable and editable titles, lower thirds, transitions etc.

And because I'm so very very nice (and wanted one for myself :) I built a simple generator with drop zones that looks kinda like your example
4slides.zip

Just unzip in ~/Movies/Motion Templates/Generators/

It's not very complicated, so editing it to your liking shouldn't be too hard.

Return to posts index

Iman Rastegari
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:05:12 pm

Wow, you guys are amazing! Thank you so much -- I'm looking forward to trying that out, and learning a bit of Motion as I customize it. :-)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:07:24 am

FYI: you don't even have to go into Motion to reframe the drop zone content. Simply double-click the drop zone in the viewer and you can pan the content anyway you want. Though it unfortunately IS or rather CAN BE extremely fiddly at times if the drop zones overlap. Definitely needs improvement.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 6, 2015 at 10:03:24 am

[Mark Suszko] "Motion is IMO a much more intuitive fx system than AfterEffects"

I'd second that motion (no pun intended), but to be fair, past a certain point e.g. when getting into higher end VFX (for which Motion isn't actually intended for anyway), there's no getting around AE and its unparalleled plugin ecosystem. But in conjunction with FCP specifically, it's a no-brainer.

[Mark Suszko] "Seriously, if yopu understand keyframin and have some AE experience, setting this up in Motion should take you less than one hour, perhaps less than half an hour"

Agreed. Probably even less. In terms of being a layer oriented paradigm, timing pane, keyframes etc., the only REAL differences between the two are basically cosmetic. Everything of relevance that you could need is at your fingertips... in form of the F1-F4 keys to be precise (+/- the FN-key). :)

If you in fact know AE well, then I only see a very minimal learning curve for Motion.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]