FORUMS: list search recent posts

To Raid or Not To Raid ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredy Schwerdtner
To Raid or Not To Raid ?
on Aug 5, 2015 at 12:22:35 am

Hi guys. I have not came in tô Creative Cow for long time. I was away from "our" industry for almost 14 months. During that time a lot happened tô FCPX. I've been a FCP user since version 1 until the "legacy" FCP 7 was retired. When FCPX came out of the oven I loved it despite the fact that many people had demonized it.
For now what I'm here to ask is about the necessity of using RAIDs. In the past the normal advice was tô use it because it could help things tô be speedy .... and also could save space in internal disks. What about now with all the new technologies within FCPX ? Libraries, Events, Projects that can be stored inside and outside or simply "pointed" to some media in an external HD ?

Thanks in advance.

Fredy.

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel 4 Core i5
16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OS X 10.7.5
FCPX 10.0.8

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: To Raid or Not To Raid ?
on Aug 5, 2015 at 12:49:58 am

Is the question would a RAID improve performance- sure this is true in any NLE. Is it necessary to get the best out of FCPX- not at all. Though again it depends greatly on the system specs especially GPU and the media format/codec being used.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:46:22 am

As Noah pointed out, it really depends on what you are cutting. If you're working with a few streams of HD you can certainly edit in FCP X without a RAID. If, however, you're cutting several streams of 4K then you're probably going to need a RAID at some point. I have a RAID 5 with 4 drives on my Mac Pro and I edit on my MacBook Pro with only an SSD and external USB3 drive but I only work in HD. I have no problem editing on either system with or without the RAID because HD just isn't that taxing on disk i/o.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:49:53 am

[John Rofrano] "HD just isn't that taxing on disk i/o.
"

Yes and this is commonly misunderstood. The data rate just isn't that high for typical long-GOP encoded material such as H.264. However if transcoding to optimized media, the data rate will be much higher. Multiple streams of optimized HD material will tax a single-disk, and 4k is higher still.

My main recommendation is don't edit from a 5400 rpm bus-powered USB 3.0 drive. The 7200 rpm HGST Touro S is one of the fastest bus-powered USB 3 drives -- you could probably get by with that but it's not ideal: http://amzn.com/B00IVFDQ48

When you add up camera media, imported media (for AVCHD/XAVC), optimized media, render files, analysis files, etc, the data volume is much greater than first appears. So the issue is more than "can I edit on this?" If ingesting and organizing a significant multi-cam shoot, just moving the data around (inc'l backup) takes a lot of space and I/O, much more than the creative editing phase. RAID helps deal with this.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 5, 2015 at 12:15:30 pm

The 1TB local on nMP kicks most RAIDs via Thunderbolt 2.

I would use it if your in a bind but backup on something anything.

I had to work on 1100 R3D clip project off the 1TB.

It was temporary till I got my PCI Extender working again.

It was a smooth ride but would not venture in it too many times :)

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:26:01 pm

Thanks everybody for fast answering.
The project I'm working in is digitalise and editing many VHS and VHS-C tapes and edit them with some HD material plus some effects, Texts and subtitles.
Since I will not need to join more than 4 tapes at time I had that question. I do have a OWC RAID Box that I used to use as RAID 5 but it is not a Thunderbolt device. I use it with a Sonnet adapter connecting the Thunderbolt OUT/Cable in my iMac to eSata IN of the RAID BOX. The question was because the Box is full of material that I would have to backup if I will use it.

Thanks again.

Fredy

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OS X 10.7.5
FCPX 10.0.8

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 5, 2015 at 8:52:58 pm

I have one of those OWC RAIDs as well... I use it at home, connected to my 2013 iMac through the same Sonnet adapter you've got. That RAID is limited to SATA II (3 Gbps), but the security of having at least *some* fault tolerance suggests that it's a better option than a single spinning disk.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:22:54 pm

" the security of having at least *some* fault tolerance suggests that it's a better option than a single spinning disk.

Doug Metz "

I totally agree with you ....

16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OS X 10.7.5
FCPX 10.0.8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved