FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you handle audio ticks due to rough edit boundaries?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
How do you handle audio ticks due to rough edit boundaries?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:29:11 am

Hi,

Most audio programs, like Pro Tools for example, have a crossfade tool that allows you to eliminate ticks. I haven't been able to find one just for audio in FCP X. Is there one?

Or do I click on the clip, drop the audio timeline down and try sliding?

Thanks,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How do you handle audio ticks due to rough edit boundaries?
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:01:24 am

Hey Ty-

FCPX audio containers have fade handles at the edges. You can also keyframe audio in the inspector or on a clip. That said- ticks I'm assuming you mean audible pops shouldn't happen if the sampling rates are in order. Perhaps you could describe the situation in more depth?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:21:22 am

Hi Noah,

They are zero crossover errors from two dissimilar sections of audio bumping up against each other. I tried the Control S suggestion. That worked in one situation but caused 2 clicks in the other.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:46:35 am

I use the fade handles for a quick fix otherwise I use CTRL-S to reveal the audio, zoom in as much as needed and massage the edit a little. Usually only takes a few seconds to sort out.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 4, 2015 at 6:51:04 pm

It's amazing zero-crossing edits aren't standard. In the 90s when we used a Sonic Solutions DAW every edit was made at a zero point. You get clicks because you have a step-function where one side of the edit is low energy and the other is higher. The sudden transition manifests as a click. What I do to eliminate this kind of click is extend the audio on both sides of the edit and apply fades to each. It's a bit of a pain, but that will eliminate zero crossing clicks.

Then there's Alex4Ds Sound Only transition here.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:02:20 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:03:48 pm

Hmm I'd take a good at the sources- haven't hit this in years of FCPX editing. Or maybe you could provide an audible example for those of us not quite so attuned as you are.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:35:09 pm

Where I notice it happening a lot in dialog is where one take has a strong low frequency rumble (which in most cases you'd never hear without a sub woof) and it cuts to a take where the rumble is gone. If no SFX or music is there to mask it, you'll hear a click. You can see the low freq rumble on meters. Another way to lessen this kind of click is apply a hi-pass filter that takes out the very low frequencies.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 4, 2015 at 8:59:13 pm

At the end of the day audio editing isn't FCPX's strong suit. Sometimes there's good reason to send the audio to an external app for finishing.

But I can say that I've been exclusively editing in FCPX since the day it was released and I could count on one hand the times I had a zero crossing issue, and I can't remember any time I couldn't massage it away by tweaking the edit at the sub-frame level.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2015 at 10:09:45 pm

Jeff,

Thanks, how do you zoom to the sample level without getting bloody nose?

Will the zoom bar take you that close?

Thanks,

Ty

Return to posts index

Iman Rastegari
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:10:10 pm

I usually use Cmd-= and Cmd-- to quickly zoom in and out; you can zoom in super close and trim/adjust the audio levels easily, then zoom back out and continue with your edit. The audio fade handles are super handy, and you can also keyframe if needed by Opt-clicking on the volume line in the clip.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:05:45 pm

Hello John,

Yes, I know about Zero Crossover errors. I was just expecting a less kludgey fix.

I got rid of them, but sheeseh!

Good to see you out here.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:25:27 pm

ITs funny- coming from a non audio editing background and having spent some time editing in FCP7 , I find FCPX so much easier in handling audio edits. Almost from day 1 i was amazed at how easy it was to make precise auidio edits and if I did end up with a click or pop, I could easly rub it out in a very precise manner, especially compared to FCP7. I suppose it all comes down to how one is used to working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]