FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere to FCPX with 7toX - GoPro error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joaco Güiraldes
Premiere to FCPX with 7toX - GoPro error
on Aug 3, 2015 at 7:49:43 pm

I received a project which was edited in Premiere Pro CC 2015.
It has mixed format media. Some shot with a Canon DSLR and the rest with GoPro cameras.
I was trying to bring the project into FCPX using 7toX.
I exported a Final Cut XML from Premiere and put that directly into 7toX.
When I imported the resulting FCPXML into FCPX all the DSLR footage linked up perfectly, but the GoPro footage shows up blank (with a red bar over the timeline). In the Browser it shows up like this:

I tried starting over, exporting from premiere, bringing the XML into FCP7 then exporting a new XML and importing that into 7toX but I get the same result.
I removed all effects from the premiere project, still nada.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Premiere to FCPX with 7toX - GoPro error
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:21:15 am

You have to install the codecs from GoPro.

Return to posts index

Joaco Güiraldes
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:47:30 pm

I wrote the guys at intelligent assistance, I think it can't be done as of now:

"I can see part of the problem. When you import the MP4 to FCP X it does not read the metadata from the associated files into the MOV that FCP X wants for this type of footage.

When FCP X ingests the GoPro footage from the cards, it reads the timecode from the associated files. While FCP X will read the mP4 directly, it loses all the associated metadata, resetting the timecode.

Premiere Pro handles this metadata in a different way than FCP X. FCP X cannot read Premeire Pro’s method, but Premiere Pro can read FCP X’s method.

If you imported the media to FCP X from the original card, it would be rewrapped to a MOV file format (FCP X’s preferred format and to which is rewraps almost everything on ingest, wrapping in metadata with it.) Then I think FCP X will have issues reconnecting as it is expecting an MP4 and it will have a MOV. It won’t like that and most likely will refuse to reconnect.

Abut the only suggestion I can make is to ingest the material into FCP X from the original cards, then have Premiere Pro reconnect the project to that new media. Then do the XML translation."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2015 at 7:18:10 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Aug 16, 2015 at 4:03:06 pm

I just had a look at this, and although the method outlined above does work, it seems to me that if 7toX did the math on the TC that Pr writes in the XML, this translation should be possible. The resulting translated file is telling FCPX that the clip has no timecode (offset) and starts at zero. It does, however, list the proper duration of the clip. The Pr XML does not list this information (meaning it does NOT say the clip starts at zero) and tells both a total duration of the clip, as well as starting timecode of the clips, as well as in and out points, and media start and end points, and number of frames. That is to say, the information to calculate proper tc is in the Pr XML.

So, since Pr is exporting the correct information, and FCPXML is correctly reading what the "incorrectly" translated FCPXML is saying, then it seems to me that problem is in the translation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]