FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to make new clip from timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Pierre
Possible to make new clip from timeline?
on Aug 1, 2015 at 6:15:13 pm

Hi,

I have a client who wants to make a montage of 11 videos that I shot for them.

Each video is a 1 hour concert - and is a different project in FCPX.

He gave me a spreadsheet with timecode for clips that I should create - and then edit them all into one montage (this will be a new project in FCPX).

I can select a region of the timeline, but I do not see anyway to add it to a new event or some sort of a bin.

The only way I have been told I can take these clips from the timeline is to use the "SHARE" command and then save them in the same folder in Finder and then import them into a new project.

It seems very easy to drag and drop clips from events to the timeline - but once things are on the timeline, there is no going back - you can't drag "up" to the events area to create a new clip.

Is this true?

All the best,
JP

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
Re: Possible to make new clip from timeline?
on Aug 1, 2015 at 7:13:50 pm

You can copy the range and paste it to a new Project. Or make a copy of your Project and select a range and make a Compound clip of that range and save it to a Event of your choise.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 2, 2015 at 12:30:42 am

Alternatively, select the entire timeline, crate a compound clip from it, then select section of the new compound clip and edit that back into a new timeline. Ormolu an just edit the compound clip on a timeline and cut away the unwanted sections.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 3, 2015 at 11:12:43 pm

You can't put clips individually in the event, but you could put all the clips from a particular timeline into a smart collection.

Make a smart collection in the event (or library for that matter) that contains all used media. Then highlight everything in the smart collection and keyword it something like used clips from sequence. Now you have a bin (keyword collection) of all the used clips. Or you could alternatively pick out just a few clips from that smart collection and keyword them.

So, essentially, yes, you can do it. You just have to create a smart collection of used media first then you can drag the clips to keyword collections (in lieu of bins) of your choice. Unfortunately the clips aren't in chronological order in the smart collection though!

I had a client make timelines of related clips instead of bins. So the above method worked very nicely to organize those timelines of clips into keyword collections so I could work with them.

I can't remember who shared the method with me. Kudos to whoever it was.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]