Very big projects folder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mateusz Szuter
Very big projects folder
on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:42:24 am

Hello!
I'm using fcpx 10.0.9
I have 35 projects in one library - te whole FCP Projects folder is... 422GB big :o We have shot everything in 1080p.

I've not created the library - my boss did. I'm used to the Vegas, where when you create a project, it just points to the location of video. VEG files are, I don't know, 1MB big max?

And in FCP Projects, in every folder I have "High Quality Media", approx. 20GB each one. Can I somehow reduce that weight, make FCPX use just original files, so I don't duplicate my raw footage in projects folder?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Very big projects folder
on Jul 31, 2015 at 9:14:39 pm

Those are transcodes for better performance. You could delete those but the project will show offline media in better quality edit mode. And I'd make absolutely positive you really have the original media before throwing anything out.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:06:20 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:09:38 am

Firstly, is there a reason to be using a version that's so old? In 10.2.1 you can get what you want, safely, in a couple of mouse clicks. In 10.0.9, unless you really understand what you're doing, messing with the project structure can be a step on the road to relinking nightmares.

Second, if you're asking that question, then it's crossed my mind you may want to dive into some training materials before you go too far. This aint your gramdma's NLE and understanding the basics can save new users a lot of frustration. There's nothing worse than doing weeks of work only to discover you've backed yourself into a corner because you missed some basic step in setting up the project, or worse, approached the edit like you would in a more traditional NLE.

Having said that, one of the reasons I liked FCPX when it first came out is that I was a long-time Vegas editor and for some reason it reminded me a lot of that.

And finally, I'm not sure if the FCPX Library Manager app still supports a version that old but if it does, it can delete those high quality media files but will try to do it safely and not let you delete any files that don't have a source media file available. Or I think it will, it's hard to remember back to a version of FCPX that's that old.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 1, 2015 at 12:04:31 am

Yeah I'm confused because he's saying Library which didn't exist in 10.0.9. Not til 10.1.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 1, 2015 at 6:34:43 am

you'll want to post this in the FCP X Techniques forum
this is for FCP7 and under.

nick

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:28:32 am

Sure looks like the techniques forum to me. Lost? :)

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:40:01 am

guess i am, sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]