FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making hip hop music videos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Porter
Making hip hop music videos
on Jul 29, 2015 at 2:56:23 am

Anybody have any advice on editing a great video, i know the basics but i see a lot of directors using great effects can somebody point them out. Like the ones used in this one

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Making hip hop music videos
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:13:52 am

Shoot 5 shots. Overlay panning and zooming footage of something gritty over each one. Cut between each one using the exact same light leak every time. Repeat over and over and over and over...

That's all I saw. Probably used a blend mode like screen or multiply or add or overlay to get the double exposed look. Then it looks like the same light leak transition every time.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 29, 2015 at 4:00:13 pm

A couple of years ago I got to spend an evening hanging out with IronMan, Cowboys and Aliens and AntMan editor Dan Lebental after our LACPUG presentations - and he told some awesome stories about how he got his start editing HipHop music videos for the likes of Snoop Dog and NWA. You never know where the A-list editors are going to get their starts!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Rich Porter
on Jul 30, 2015 at 3:05:07 am

Thanks a lot, you understand completely what i was looking for. Are all these stock effects in final cut pro?
And what are there names. Are there any extra effects or plugins in final cut pro that would make my editing much better, and a place i can download them.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 30, 2015 at 3:55:59 am

Most of what's in that video is some basic grunge textures layered in 3D space. Set up some blend modes, push a camera through them and there you go. Motion or After Effects would be your go-to for those shots. Throw in some custom light flashes, some text and you're done.

If you wanted to edit in FCPX you could probably do the 3D grunge layers in Motion and then export the result for overlaying in Final Cut.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 30, 2015 at 4:49:00 am

The more I look at it, what seems to be a grunge layer is just some camera footage. One is a zoom, one a tilt, one a pan, etc. Theres only 12 sec of footage in the whole video but I suppose that's because it's a fanboy lyric video or something.

There are some built in light transitions in X or you could buy the from pixelfilmstudios or motionvfx or any number of places.

Beyond that, just place some grungy footage over the main footage and play with the blend modes and opacity in the inspector. Looks like they applied a low color look to the footage too. X has all sorts of built in color looks you can try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]