FORUMS: list search recent posts

managing media in FCPX (10.2) still confused

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Cav
managing media in FCPX (10.2) still confused
on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:58:54 am

sorry if this is a repeat or common post, put my searches didn't really help me find what I'm looking for.
I'm running 10.2 on a MacPro with 2 internal HDs. I'm using a smallish SSD for boot and a 750GM HD for media storage of my FCP files.

I had some issues awhile back where a had a FCPX crash and had to get some lost files back using the backups. Now I'm out of room on my HD and need space. How do I move projects I no longer need to backup? Or more importantly, I seem to have a redundant current projects folder that was/is the backup. Any ideas? The only difference between my "current projects" and my "backup current projects" is one particular project.

Here's a screen shot to get us started.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: managing media in FCPX (10.2) still confused
on Jul 28, 2015 at 1:15:27 pm

A couple things-

Your workflow or needs may be different, but generally one has a library for each job. I see you have a library called current projects. Unless you need everything you've ever done previously for every project going forward, you likely would be better off having a library for each video or category or group of videos. That may be what you're doing, but the labeling aibrary "current projects" of a instead of "IBM orientation" or "Super Bowl highlights video" throws up a red flag.

Another flag is that it seems that current projects seems to be in your backups folder on your internal hard drive? As you can see the library can grow pretty big (probably because you have multiple projects in it) even if media is external. Backups are small. The libraries (projects) you're working on should go on your media drive. Most people put them in a folder with other material related to the job the library is for. Scripts, jpegs, motion projects, after effects, etc. I would use a raid 5 for the media drive or have it backed up in some way. Having the library and its backup on the system drive doesn't do much good if it goes down. In the past it wasn't good for performance but these days with SSDs it probably makes no difference.

To get that library off the system drive to make space, you should be able to simply drag it to your media drive. Then double click it on the media drive to make sure it's all happy once it's copied over. Then you could highlight the overall library in the browser in FCP and manage the media in the inspector as well. If you want it all self contained in the library bundle you'd choose the library and the location and click consolidate. But now you're heading into media management territory that you really need to understand. Maybe someone has one of those links to a media management tutorial?

Return to posts index

Greg Cav
on Jul 29, 2015 at 3:19:17 am

Bret,
First off, thanks so much for taking some time to help, I really appreciate it.
Just to clarify, the drive you are looking at in the screen shot above is my media drive, its a 2nd internal hard drive in my laptop. So my current projects is located on a different drive than the boot drive with FCPX app on it.

You're right about the libraries. I've always been confused by this and thought I had it figured out until the 10.2 update. I'd like to only work with the media I need for a current project (job) instead of having my laptop need to find and see all of my past projects when I don't need them. So what you are saying is I need to create a new library for each video project right? To clarify some more, I have a modest YouTube channel ("Gallup Journey Test Drives") where I do amateur car reviews. In general, for each car I test, I generate all my media of the vehicle and basically only use that media for each project/video I create to upload. There is some media I use between projects: shots of other test drives, a common intro bumper and outro bumper etc... Could you offer little more advice on how to better manage my media?

For know I'm going to run a backup and then transfer over the "current projects backup working" folder onto an external HD to make space on my internal media drive. I think that will get me rolling again.
The one problem I seem to have is that my "current projects folder" and my "current projects backup working folder" share the same date as well as have several of the same projects on them. I'm assuming that's only because they are both opening at the same time when I am opening FCPX correct? (this happened months ago when I was trying to recover some lost data)

THANKS AGAIN, much appreciated!
-Greg

(I've included a screen shot of my FCPX window too, just to help)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:47:22 pm

Gotcha.

But I'm still confused as to what you're doing with all these backups and a duplication of the library all in the same place? By default, backups appear on your system drive and occur every 15-20 minutes. They take up nearly zero space as they don't contain the media. (You can always relink to media). So if I understand what you're doing, first I'd delete that duplicated library called backup working. You said it contains all but one of the videos. There's no need for it that I can see. It isn't even a backup, it's a nearly complete copy of the "current projects" library and takes up hundreds of gigs. Assuming the "current projects" contains everything it does and then some, ditch it. Ditch all the dated backups. They don't contain media. Make sure you're set the library properties to backup to user>movies>final cut backups. That's the default. Looks like you changed it to backup to the same place as the library. Not very secure if the drive craps out.

So now you have one library on your 2nd internal media drive called "current projects" and FCP is backing up to the final cut backups folder on your system drive.

No you can open the current projects library and export each sequence to it's own library with ONLY the media needed to play the sequence. Keyword collections will come with it. Highlight the sequence (project) in the event browser and choose File>Copy Project to Library>New Library. FCP X will create a new Library with only the files used to create that video. I notice you have an event for each video. So, if you'd like to create a new library that has all the media, even the shots that weren't used, you could alternatively select the event and choose copy event to library>new library instead.

In either case you should see a popup about how it's going to deal with internal and external media. It looks like you import all your media into the library (based on the large size of your library). If that's true, then your new library will have it's own duplicate files inside the new library. However if you kept your media outside the library bundle (choosing "leave in place" on import) then the new library would link to those same external files the original library is linking to. Great for saving space. But prone to human error when trying to mange media shared by multiple libraries. Since most of your media is used once for each library, I'd continue keeping the media internally managed in the library.

So, once you've created new libraries from your different projects (or events) you might want to open up each one and make sure all the media is actually consolidated in each library. You can open each library and check the library properties in the inspector. Under storage locations it should say "In Library." Right next to it is a consolidate button. I'd go ahead and consolidate and it should tell you that there are no files to consolidate. Once you're sure the new libraries are self contained I'd quit FCP X, toss the big "current projects" library in the trash (but don't empty) and relaunch X and check them again before you empty the trash. I might even open a few libraries bundles at the finder level and check that the original media folder doesn't have any aliases because I'm anal like that.

I'd also create one more library. A library with nothing but your show template and the common media used for each show. I'd probably do this by creating a new library, then opening up one of your show libraries and simply copying and pasting just the common elements (open, close, gfx, etc.) from one timeline to a timeline in the new library. All the media and keywords will show up in the new library and be copied over as well. So this new library can either be used as a library you open up and copy elements over to each new show or it could be a template library that your simply duplicate and rename and use for each new show.

Return to posts index

Greg Cav
on Jul 31, 2015 at 3:07:53 am

thanks again for your thorough responses, very helpful! I'm going to do just as you said. Just to be clear, would I do the deleting of my backups in finder or in FCP? Also, since the "current projects working backup" contains on project that is not in the current projects folder, I'm guessing I should move that one up to current projects so that it doesn't go missing?

thanks!
-Greg

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 31, 2015 at 3:28:46 am

I'd open both libraries and copy it from one to the other in FCP, yes.

Then export them all out separately like discussed.

Return to posts index

Greg Cav
on Jul 31, 2015 at 5:47:15 am

I copied over the event from the backup to the current projects.
Do I delete that whole large backup folder in finder? By dragging to the trash?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]