FORUMS: list search recent posts

starting project organization with FCP 10.2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Reilly
starting project organization with FCP 10.2
on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:18:42 pm

There are a lot of posts on FCPX, but things seem to have changed drastically from 10.0 to 10.2 now in 2015. I searched, but got confused by conflicting responses from different iterations.

I'm just starting to organize a project, and I can't get my head around events, collections and folders.

Libraries I kinda understand - that is pretty much everything you need - if you copy that, you can open it up on another computer and everything should be there.

And smart collections seems like it could be useful. Someone mentioned that you can think of them as "saved searches". That is a helpful way to think.

But I can't seem to put video into folders - I have to put it into a collection and then put them into folders ? And then why do I need events ? I might be mistaken but someone intimated that people are using workarounds to avoid events?

Any response appreciated. Working through Lynda.com FCPX 10.2 training - it does not really go into WHY I would want these organizational tools - also they suffer from the same thing - training for previous iterations that is no longer relevant.

Michael O

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: starting project organization with FCP 10.2
on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:39:33 pm

I'd suggest finishing the training first. Also look at:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-10-1-manage-projects/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 24, 2015 at 7:48:02 am

"But I can't seem to put video into folders - I have to put it into a collection and then put them into folders ?"

This is a sure sign you don't understand the basics of X yet. In X, folder organization at the finder level is functionally largely meaningless. (Some use it as an import pre-sort after a fashion, but you can fully use and operate X without EVER creating a single desktop folder. Period. It has a keyword driven database that allows you to mark and instantly recall content to your play head - with absolutely no need to find, open or create any folder ever.

This is part of the transition thinking you need to understand when coming to X. And it's part of why long time editors coming to X with years or even decades of finder-based thinking often have more difficulty than noobs and kids who are less "pre-conditioned" to seeing all computer operations as variations in Finder-fu.

Running X is fundamentally a bit more like running a Google search than it is like shuffling through a virtual file cabinet - which is the old finder style.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
on Jul 24, 2015 at 12:17:41 pm

thanks for those responses.

Noah, while a decent suggestion, as I get into the training, I am becoming increasingly frustrated and it is taking me further away from what anyone teaching FCPX should be doing: Setting the student up for the tectonic shift from FCP to FCPX. And I would say that Bill makes a better stab at explaining that than anyone I have seen. But it could reveal itself through the training, I see your point, however I am still having difficulty in figuring out why connected clips are useful. The trainer herself encourages me to connect music to gap clips - itself seemingly a workaround to the connected clip concept.

But I am not convinced that there is an old head vs. noob dynamic going on here. There seems to be a little bit of the apple "welded the hood shut" (like iDVD) mentality here.

Noah, also thanks for the link. I had landed there previously but discarded it as outdated since it seems to deal with version 10.1 (he never mentions collections) and as I indicated, I was looking for current information.

Michael

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:09:23 pm

[Michael O'Reilly] "But I can't seem to put video into folders - I have to put it into a collection and then put them into folders ? And then why do I need events ? I might be mistaken but someone intimated that people are using workarounds to avoid events?"

I'm going to equate this to other NLEs, like FCP Legacy, PPro, Avid MC. Think of it like this:

Library = the overall production - like an FCP7/PProCC project file

Events = Bins - you place all of your footage there

Keyword Collections = groups of subclips - you can organize any way you want, but the master clip is still at the event level and Keyword Collections are a subset of the Event. For example, the Event might be all talent filmed on Tuesday. Then there could be a Keyword Collection for male talent and another for female talent. Additional Keyword Collections for Bill's lines, Mary's lines, Tom's lines, etc.

You can also use Smart Collections, which are simply a set of clips or sequences filtered by the assigned search criteria. Collections can be placed into folders within the Event.

Projects = edited sequences - these can be in an Event with master clips or in an Event by themselves.

HTH.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:32:13 pm

Very helpful - thanks Oliver !

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 24, 2015 at 5:52:07 pm

Also the best way to learn FCPX is just to use it as it is rather than attempting to transpose previous editing mechanics/paradigms onto it. Unlike say a move from FCP7 to Premiere and/or Avid- it's a completely different way to fly.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
on Jul 24, 2015 at 9:03:47 pm

Very true, thanks. I guess I am a lil wary since this is a big project and I would rather not have to redo a lot, especially in the import phase. Diving in this weekend. Michael

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 25, 2015 at 8:54:00 pm

Well if it were me and a really important project I'd consider hiring an FCPX trainer to sit with you for 1:1 for at least half a day rather than slog through tutorials and forums. Especially if you're finding them coming up wanting. But I am of course a little biased as a service provider....

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Michael O'Reilly
on Jul 26, 2015 at 4:33:34 pm

Noah, that is a great idea. I did get a trainer to show me the basics of Davinci Resolve since I had NO experience with that. But I had not considered a trainer for FCPX. Since I know FCP7 so well, I did not think the transition would be that rough. Could you recommend a service/URL or an individual that would deal with the Philadelphia area ?

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 26, 2015 at 5:05:55 pm

The Apple Certified Pros registry shows half a dozen in NY and 2 in the Baltimore area. But none in PA. That doesn't mean that there isn't anyone good at X in your area, just that nobody has yet been serious enough to go thru the formal program of certification yet.
You'll have to ask around and keep looking.
Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]