FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color tagged video files in Finder are no longer playable in Quicktime, VLC, FCP X...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bertrand Sinssaine
Color tagged video files in Finder are no longer playable in Quicktime, VLC, FCP X...
on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:14:13 am

Hello,
I am working on a new editing project and I went throught the rushs a first time, as usual, tagging some video files with color tags in the finder. But when, I went back to open them up later, only the videos that I tagged are no longer playable.

The size of each video is the same, but FCP X refuses to import them, Quicktime says its damaged, and VLC won't play them at all. Now taking this tag out doesn't change their state. Other video files from the same shooting are working completely..
Any reason why color tagging these files might warp these video files? Anyway to revert them back to their working state?

For reference: I'm running Yosemite on a Macbook Air (2013) and the video files are from a Panasonic GH3 (.MOV, 50p, 1920x1080).

Thanks for your help !! a professionnal shooting in Mongolia I just ended is at stake !

Bertrand,

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.0)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Color tagged video files in Finder are no longer playable in Quicktime, VLC, FCP X...
on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:26:53 am

If you haven't already- make a backup of these clips first...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bertrand Sinssaine
Re: Color tagged video files in Finder are no longer playable in Quicktime, VLC, FCP X...
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:33:05 pm

Hi Noah,

The videos I am referring to are actually from a back-up (Lacie Rugged 1To external hard drive).
Indeed the original footages disappeared as my MacBook was robbed last week in a guesthouse in Mongolia...

So these files are the one and only version I have got now. I put them back on another MacBook and took off the color tags but they remain corrupted.

Thanks for your help !!

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
on Jul 22, 2015 at 2:05:54 pm

Please try other apps to see if there's one that is able to read the files:
Resolve Lite, EditReady, Premiere, Telestream Switch.

You might have some luck transcoding to Prores with FFMPEG. Something along the lines of:
ffmpeg -i 'Path/Of/Your/File' -vcodec prores -profile:v 2 -acodec pcm_s24le 'Output/Path/Filename.mov'

Do you have a small quicktime you could upload for us to examine?

Walter Biscardi has an informative post about options for fixing corrupt media:
http://walterbiscardi.com/salvaging-a-corrupted-quicktime-file/?doing_wp_cr...

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

Bertrand Sinssaine
Fixing corrupted color tagged video files (Mac OS)
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:35:47 am

Hello,

To conclude this topic, I still don’t know why transferring videos with a color tag on a external hard drive corrupted some of them, maybe because this HDD was formatted in HTFS and I used Paragon.

But I can explain how i recovered my corrupted .mov files shot with a Lumix GH3 :

1 / I Used "HD Video Repair" available here: http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5. It uses a reference movie shot with the same camera to recover your movies. Not all cameras are fully supported so you can give it a try with the trial version. In my case it seems to be not fully compatible yet with GH3 footage as I recovered the sound ok but the video was freezing when playing in Quicktime or FCP X.

2 / I played the output file on VLC and it was ok so I export it again from that software but this time the sound was damaged in the new input file.

3 / In FCP X, I gathered the 2 output files, from VIDEO REPAIR for the sound and from VLC for the video, with compound clips et voilà!

I went through this process for each corrupted video, so it can be a bit long but it recovered valuable videos like interviews that could not be shot again!

I hope it can help someone someday, corrupted files are crap so it feels so good when you get out of it ;)

Bertrand

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]