Shape masks and colour masks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Shape masks and colour masks
on Jul 20, 2015 at 9:20:16 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jul 20, 2015 at 9:20:47 am

Hello

I've applied a black and white colour shape mask to a clip. Now I have something passing through my shape that I would like to remain black and white.

I think I can apply some kind of extra colour mask to the clip but have tried a few things and can't quite figure it out.

Help much appreciated.

swimming clip James

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/swimming-clip-james

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shape masks and colour masks
on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:54:22 pm

That's a bit beyond the capabilities of the stock color board to be honest. For ways to achieve what I'd imagine you're after, grab a cup of coffee and sit down for 30 minutes to check out:

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:56:33 pm

thanks.. I was wondering if i could add colour frame by frame as the shot is only about 50 frames..i'll check the link

appreciated

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 20, 2015 at 8:11:35 pm

Sure you could take it into Photoshop if you *really* want to get your hands dirty. But end of the day it's your time or your money.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 20, 2015 at 10:57:08 pm

video isnt loading for me, but why not just draw a mask around the face and track it by hand if only 50 frames?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 20, 2015 at 11:19:33 pm

Totally. If 2-3 hours of your own time vs. a plugin you could reuse on other projects makes more sense- that's the way to go.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 21, 2015 at 2:46:09 pm

noah am curious what you meant by using Color Finale for masking?

is that in combo with SliceX?

i usually attempt to do keyframes by hand in FCPX, but if it's a 2-3 hour type ordeal, then no of course that's a waste, and i use slicex (unless i'm really feeling adventurous and want to go into resolve).

i've read that slicex+colorfinale is good combo for some things though...

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:33:54 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:56:59 pm

[Jacob Brown] " usually attempt to do keyframes by hand in FCPX, but if it's a 2-3 hour type ordeal, then no of course that's a waste, and i use slicex (unless i'm really feeling adventurous and want to go into resolve)."

As it's such a short clip I would be happy to manually colour in 20 or 30 frames with the dropper to keep the passing arm black and white rather than download and learn new software (which I know I must learn moving forwards).

So if some clever person knew a way of doing it within FCPX that would be most welcome.

I am an editor and not a compositor or colourist (I know some of you clever people wear all these hats) so I'm a bit muddled about effects and layering in a particular order them and whether I could apply an additional colour mask in some way to get round my problem.

??

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:38:20 am

[Jacob Brown] "video isnt loading for me, but why not just draw a mask around the face and track it by hand if only 50 frames?"

Thanks that's exactly what I have done. there is a link also. But what when an arm passes through that mask is my problem.

Downloaded Color Finale and will have a play thanks.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jul 21, 2015 at 2:43:45 pm

cool. color finale is an AWESOME tool for color. i usually use the fcpx tool to do a quick shadows/highlights/saturation adjustment on an adjustment layer, then put color finale on a second layer to add a LUT and use the color wheels to do some fine tuning.

but i'm not sure how color finale will help with your key?

do you use slicex/trackx? it has a really powerful masking tool that it can then track -- i believe that it plays well with color finale, though i haven't used them together yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]