FORUMS: list search recent posts

48 fps to 23.98 or 24

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrico Lappano
48 fps to 23.98 or 24
on Jul 17, 2015 at 8:33:19 pm

I'm not sure if I should set up a fcpx project shot in 48 fps that will mainly be slo mo to conform to 23.98 or 24 fps? I'd appreciate any help with this question.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: 48 fps to 23.98 or 24
on Jul 17, 2015 at 8:42:28 pm

What is your desired effect? Solomon? Half speed?

What camera did you film with and what was the timebase of the camera?

Maybe check out my article here.

https://library.creativecow.net/battistella_david/Film-Style-Slow-Motion/1

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:07:20 pm

The footage is mainly underwater shot of fish and reefs on a GoPro Hero 3 Black. A lot of it will be half speed with some normal speed. Not sure what a Solomon effect is.

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Jul 17, 2015 at 9:49:18 pm

The camera timebase is 24 fps but I assume that the final export should be 23.98? So I'm not sure what the editing frame rate should be. I'm new working with the GoPro especially trying out the other frame rates that it has. Trying to create a short nature video with a play on lighting reflection on water and the world that inhabits coral reefs.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 20, 2015 at 11:40:33 am

solomon was a typo for slow motion.

Set your project up as a 23.98 project in FCP X.

What I am trying to determine is if you shot 60P in order to get slow motion footage out of it.

That is video style slow motion which means reinterpreting the footage.

Example. you shot 60P and if you interpret that footage as being 23.98 then when you play it back it will play back in slow motion. If you interpret the footage at 59.94, it will look normal.

So maybe you have to do two passes. interpret the footage once as slow motion and once as regular motion. You can do this in compressor and create two separate clips to work with.

Or, the lazy and crappy way would be to bring it all into a 23.98 timeline and use the slow motion retime effects in FCP X

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:28:00 pm

Thanks David. Yes. I shot it in 60 fps because most of the footage will be slow motion in the edit. I set up fcpx project in 23.98 fps and the little footage that should be normal speed was slowed down to 23.98 fps in Cinema Tools then sped up 2x in the fcpx timeline. The rest of the clips were just dropped into the 23.98 timeline and of course will automatically be reinterpreted to half speed for final export.

Is it better to work through compressor?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]