FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Multicam

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hayes
FCPX Multicam
on Jul 17, 2015 at 6:06:30 pm

Have a documentary with tons of multicam clips. Just recently we have had a problem copying projects between computers. We have all of the media externally linked. We create a new library daily as a way of project backup. So each day the master copy is duplicated with todays date and copied over to a mirrored drive which is used to work on a second computer. Every time we do this we have to relink all of the media on the mirrored drive.

The problem we are having is with the duplicated project on the second computer. On the master copy a multicam will be 1 long clip (An hour or so). On the duplicated library the exact same multicam will show up as 5 or 6 smaller clips of random lengths. This becomes a nightmare because we dont know what order theses sections are supposed to be, and it makes the project messy.

I have checked all of the settings to make sure they are mirrored. Even if I export an XML of the multicam clip from the master and import it into a new library on the mirrored drive it still shows up as multiple clips even before linking the media!

Anyone had similar problems?

Mark Hayes

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX Multicam
on Jul 17, 2015 at 6:24:12 pm

I would not create a new Library every day as it will lead to precisely these sorts of issues. Backups are already being made of the Project/Event databases automatically by FCPX. If you want more protection try: http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mark Hayes
on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:40:23 pm

Ok, regardless of the daily backups. What is the best method to have 2 mirrored drives with mirrored projects on them? Despite daily copies of the project, this problem only persist on the mirrored drive which requires relinking the media.

Mark Hayes

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:46:10 pm

Well if you are copying directly to another drive and then using that drive to edit from again you'll always face reconnect issues. Ideally you would set this up in a more shared environment where both sets of editors are working from centrally located media rather than have multiple instances. FCPX will default to the original media locations specified in the original project and will always require a reconnect to link to a new location.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2015 at 6:18:15 pm

I had a similar issue sharing a multicam project. The client had created the project with multicam and handed it off to me. I color corrected the angles in the multicam and adjusted the audio levels of each angle as well as did a mix in the project/sequence.

When I XML'd the project back, she imported the XML into her library. It automatically saw her multicam (the original non-color corrected one) and linked up naturally. The audio and color was of course not correct in her version of the multicam.

The answer was to simply do a snapshot of the project before XMLing it to her. That breaks the link to the multicam. It actually links to an invisible multicam that doesn't exist in the browser until you try to edit it from the sequence- at which point it will magically create a multicam in the browser. Same holds for compounds.

So the lesson for me was if you're sharing projects via xml (or via transfer library too) it's best to snapshot the project before creating the XML. Otherwise it could link to an older version of the any multicams or compounds. HTH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]