FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can we merge data from duplicate events without duplicating data?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Can we merge data from duplicate events without duplicating data?
on Jul 17, 2015 at 4:40:44 pm

I've noticed this has been asked before for previous version of FCP X, but I've yet to see an answer.

Scenario: Two duplicate libraries and events with the same media in the library - one copy at work, one copy at home.

Workflow: Work on the project at work. Export XML of event. Import XML at home. Keep working. Repeat the other way around as needed depending on which library has the latest information.

When I import the last exported event XML into the library I am using, I essentially get a duplicate event; noted by the number 2 after the event name. The numbering would keep going consecutively as I moe XMLs back and forth and not merge events.

I simply want to move UPDATED information such as new markers, keyword collections, favorites, etc. Merging the duplicate events (one with the old information and the imported has the old plus the new information) simply combines everything and I end up with duplicate data rather than ADDITIONAL data.

Has anyone come across a method to do this other than just moving the library? Perhaps FCP X isn't smart enough with this version yet (10.2) to update library and/or event information father than duplicating data that's already there.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
Re: Can we merge data from duplicate events without duplicating data?
on Jul 17, 2015 at 4:55:18 pm

Oy vey maybe the caffeine just hasn't kicked in yet. I think it's as simple as importing the new event via XML and deleting the old one now that I look at things; not merging them at all.

The new exported XML (when imported) will have the old data and the newly updated date before import.

Problem solved...I think ;) At least that's what I am seeing at the moment.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2015 at 5:20:41 pm

Why not move the whole library?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 17, 2015 at 5:04:06 pm

Yeah I would use XML to transfer between the two...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Sep 22, 2015 at 12:03:20 am

Still not working exactly as I'd like. The imported xml makes duplicate references after merging the imported event with my own. I want it to merge without duplicating references since the duplicate references are pointing to the same media anyway.

T

Tangier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2015 at 1:03:25 am

If you take the XML home, import the XML to your home library, then you should simply delete your old event once the XML is imported (think of it as a replace).

Then, once you're done, export the home event XML, import it to the work library, and delete the old event and keep the new one.

As long as you have the constant ping pong, you'll always be working from the latest version.

Or, as mentioned before, make your life easier and work from one library and bring it back and forth from work to home and back. There'll be some relinking involved, but no big deal.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Sep 22, 2015 at 2:32:40 am

Copy that. I had that workflow in mind. Problem is I am working with two editors. We all have the same content but if by chance someone adds something to their event then importing a new one and deleting the old becomes a problem.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2015 at 1:55:56 pm

I would then ask what is more important, or what are you trying to share?

Are both editors organizing footage for each other? Can you put the clips in a Project, which will then keep any tags? What information, exactly, are you trying to swap?

You can drag new kw collections and smart collections from Event to Event, but you'd have to keep track of new and updated info and then manually reconcile the data.

I agree that the doubling of data in the Merge command is less than ideal, but it also seems necessary as its the only way to ensure accuracy and that it doesn't delete something you intended to keep, specifically with favorite ranges, et al, that don't allow overlapping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]